Month old chicks with 1 or 2 day old chicks

MamaGantz3002

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
So chicken math got to my mom and I this past month. My question is I have more coming on the 16th of this month, the ones we have now will be a month old and will be outside two three weeks after I get these five new chicks, will there still have to be acclamation time for these chicks? If so how should I do that? This it our first time with chicks and are excited to have a big flock at least the max out town will allow us to have? Thank you in advance fie all the answers and help.

My month old chicks are pretty aggressive at this point. The are “flying”, running into each other, pushing each other out of the way, etc. That would be tough on baby chicks. Mine don’t peck each other, they just play rough when they are excited. I definitely wouldn’t put younger chicks with them.

Last year I had two sets of chicks that were about a month apart. Maybe a little more. I blended them right away. I waited a week or so before I blended the hens though. It may have helped that the youngest batch had a broody. It really wasn’t an issue blending all ages.

This year I’m doing the same. So far so good. Just blended new three week old chicks with one and two year old hens and my broody has six chicks that I’ll blend this upcoming weekend. I’m giving her about a week to get the babies moving around and getting comfortable. I think each case is different. Definitely supervise in the beginning. I’m sure the amount of space involved can influence the outcome. I have about a 20x40 run. 23 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom