Month old Turkey: weak and Don't want to stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nc_mudder, Jul 7, 2010.

1. nc_mudder

nc_mudder New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Hey one of my month old turkeys looks very weak doesn't want to stand up, just lays on the ground and peeps, the others are doing fine, the turkey also looks it is loosing feathers. Should it be seperated from the other chicks/poults, is is possible they are attacking it, what does it sound like could be the problem? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I did want to welcome you and to say I hope you find answers quickly.

3. veet.maya

veet.maya New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Sarasota
    I had two baby turkeys that died a few weeks ago - it sounds like the same thing. I brought them home and had them with my chicks. One turkey kept laying down and kept kind of falling over on its side. Before it started doing that though, it was acting very strangely. Wouldn't really eat or drink and stood in one corner of the box. I would take them outside during the day and it would get better, but it died overnight. Two days later, my other turkey died.

One of my chicks then started acting the same way. So I went to the feed store and they gave me an antibiotic to put in the remaining chicks water - it was something for their sinuses. I don't remember the name, but it's a yellow powder. The owner told me the reason they died overnight is because the fluid in their lungs drowns them - It won't drain and when they lay over like that they can die pretty quickly.

Good luck and hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by