Monty and the girls - Starting out with Buff Orpingtons

Hannahs Buffs

Hatching
Mar 22, 2015
Over the 2 years I've raised chickens, I've only ever had hybrid layers for eggs. My two Gold Partridge Brahmas, Tilly and Cherry have been wonderful egg layers and pets. About a month ago I bought 8 Black Australorp chicks, and about a week ago I collected my first Buff Orpingtons. Monty and his two girls. They are about 3 months old, and already I think I love this breed the most! They are already tame as I think they were handled a lot as chicks.

It's hard to find chickens here, and you certainly don't get the variety of breeds available in America, but now and again I get lucky and find someone near us.

We live in the beautiful Natal Midlands, South Africa. Our view here is breathtaking, and you can see the mist on the hills in the morning. I hope I can learn a lot and share my experiences here on Backyard Chickens!

- Hannah Matthews

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I've raised Buff Orpingtons for years (I still have some in my flock) and certainly agree with you that they are a wonderful breed. I've also had Brahmas (the first breed I ever had, about 50 years ago) and Australorps (I still have Australorps in my flock), and all of your breeds are typically very calm and gentle. My children made lap pets of all three breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome, Hannah!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos! Good luck with your chickens.

Nice to meet you Hannah. You do have some great breeds in your flock. My friend had a great buff orp that liked to sit on her shoe, so she could swing her foot back & forth, and get a ride. Unfortunately Holly morphed into a rooster - broke her heart to rehome him.

Nice to meet you Hannah.  You do have some great breeds in your flock.   My friend had a great buff orp that liked to sit on her shoe, so she could swing her foot back & forth, and get a ride. Unfortunately Holly morphed into a rooster - broke her heart to rehome him.

That sounds terrible! She must have missed him. I know it's very hard to lose a pet, and very easy to get attached to your chickens.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your buff orps! They are my favorite breed of all. I have three myself and I just love them to bits!

Great to have you join us, Hannah!

Back
Top Bottom