Moody Broody Mama Duck

littleredhen4610

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hi,
My Buff Orpington ducks have just hatched their first clutch. Out of seven eggs she sat on, she destroyed three. Out of the four which hatched, she and the drake killed one baby duck and tried to kill another before we rescued it. We took the remaining three inside to our brooder. Now Mama duck is in a frightful state. Anytime she sees us come out to the yard, she goes into a fit, scrunched up with her bill open and raising a continual fuss until we go out of sight. She is doing the same behavior as she did when she was sitting on the nest, guarding it. She is making me crazy and I am afraid my neighbors will start to hate me. The furious quacking doesn't stop until she no longer sees us. Is she being hormonal still or resenting us for taking the ducklings? Does this stop or will I have to rehome her? Thanks for your help!

Very typical of a hormonal duck. I'm sorry she didn't turn out to be a good mama. Is there any way you can destroy the nest she was on? if she is still on it? I had a Muscovy do this very same thing I only saved one duckling. I have no idea why they do this but something just goes hay wire in their brain. Hopefully soon she'll be over it. Can you close her up in the coop so she isn't so loud? just make sure she has water and feed.

Thanks for your kind reply! I have already taken the nest out, clean out the box and put back with fresh shavings. She isn't sitting on a nest anymore, but she is still acting broody. How long did this stage last for your duck?

It can take a couple weeks before they begin settling back down. I have Muscovy and in a given week I can have 2-3 females acting broody an not have one egg under them.

I had to put one of mine in what I call solitary confinement last night. She was inside chasing her sisters down being hateful. So she got to sleep by herself in the feed room. They can sure get on a last nerve! Only difference mine is Muscovy and they don’t quack. So no noise involved just meanness

Good morning ya'll, May I add on to this thread instead of posting a new one? I'm kinda of at a similar point....

My Mallard mama laid and hatched all 9 eggs on June 15. I kept 3 and found a loving home for the other 6 about 2 weeks after hatching. (my husband won't allow me to add 9 other ducks to our original 6 :rolleyes:) She is still Broody as all get out!!! Chasing after any of the ducks or chickens that come even near her or her now almost 5 week old ducklings. She has been separated from all the others when put away at night, and tends to keep to herself and the ducklings when out during the day (unless another bird comes close) she has just started taking treats from my hand again, so she is starting to turn around. However, she just started laying one egg a day again- which i'll take, but is protective over her nesting area again! I've also noticed a rock or two accumulate in the nesting area too. She is a good mama and loves her babies, but when will this moodiness be done? I just want to put everyone together at night again and have my sweet mama back.... help!

Back
Top Bottom