Moody broody

mrsbyler

Hatching
Apr 1, 2015
So, our broody won't stay in the nest. She sits for quite a while (half a day?) and then leaves for hours. Then comes back, etc. any idea if 1. She'll sit for 3 weeks if she's in her own box? And 2. The eggs she's already sat on (less than 24 hours total) - are they still good for hatching or eating?

Welcome! She's only been trying to set for one day? Way too early to know what's going on. You can candle the eggs to evaluate, but it doesn't sound okay to me. I don't believe a hen is really setting until she's REALLY in there non-stop. If the other hens are bothering her, isolation will be better, BUT she has to show some real commitment first. Mary

So, our broody won't stay in the nest. She sits for quite a while (half a day?) and then leaves for hours. Then comes back, etc. any idea if 1. She'll sit for 3 weeks if she's in her own box? And 2. The eggs she's already sat on (less than 24 hours total) - are they still good for hatching or eating?

It doesn't sound as if she is serious yet. She may be waiting for a larger clutch or only toying with the idea of setting. What breed is she?
Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks both! She's a rhode island red. And she's sitting again today. I think we'll move her tonight to see if that helps? How long should we keep her in there to see if she's going to commit? 2 days?

Thanks both! She's a rhode island red. And she's sitting again today. I think we'll move her tonight to see if that helps? How long should we keep her in there to see if she's going to commit? 2 days?

Give her 3 days and nights. If she's not staying in by then and no new eggs are being added, she is not serious. I have had at least a dozen RIR's, not a one of them took brooding serious. I hope she commits for you but don't bet on it.

I hope so too! But if not, what's a good breed that would likely (if we got chicks this year)?

I hope so too! But if not, what's a good breed that would likely (if we got chicks this year)?

I would think pure breeds that are not listed as production, hybrid,EE or heavy egg layers. There are plenty of good bantam breeds who are good brooders also. Millie Fleur and Silkies are two breeds of Bantams that are reliable brooders of bantam and LF eggs.

Hens often practice being broody, especially first timers. I leave them be until they spend at least 2 nights in a row on the nest. Nights seem to be the kicker for setting tight. Once she does that, I toss the eggs that have been on the nest and give the eggs I want her to hatch. I try to leave the hen with the flock, but that's a personal management decision. I mark the eggs I give her to hatch so I can monitor for eggs added to the nest.

Sounds like you just need to be patient and let her hormones fully kick in to brood.

Back
Top Bottom