More chicken Questions in feeding and watering your flock????

MrCluck

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
I was wondering.On average how many eggs does a rhode island red hen produce in one week? what kind of nuitrishion does a rhode island red need in one week (like how humans need about 2-3 servings of milk, 2-3 servings of meat or beans, 2-4 servings of fruit, 3-5 servings of vegitables, and 6-11 servings of grain)? How much money would it cost to give one hen that amount of nuitrishion in one week?About what age does a RIR stop producing eggs?
idunno.gif

RIR will average about 3 eggs per week. Some more Some less. Feed your birds as much as they'll eat. Just keep your feeder full of a quality chicken feed or laying mash. Let your birds free range if at all possible they will eat less feed if they are out foraging all day. I have 16 chickens and they go through 50 lbs in about 3 weeks when free ranging. About 1 week when penned all day. Go to www.mypetchicken.com they have tons of this kind of information.

If your talking about a hatchery RIR then it's really what is referred to around BYC as a Production Red. Now these birds are egg laying machines. My Production Reds as pullets would lay everyday for 8 to 9 days then take a day off and start again everyday for another 8 to 9 days. After pullet stage they give 5-6 eggs per week. Ours are 2.5 years old and still going strong, I expect them to lay only 4 eggs perhaps only 3 per week after this years molt. Will likely be out last winter with them.

To feed them all you really need is layer feed when they are laying. Any free range time for them is a bonus and so are your table scraps and leftovers you'd forgotten about in the fridge. As omnivors chickens eat practically anything. I've three hens at this point and they've not finished a 50# bag of feed in a month. Likely a bag of feed lasts 9 weeks (if I remember correctly when we got this bag) for us lately as we can't free range at this time and the kids are forgetting to feed them our scraps, we get 17 eggs per week, that's 15 dollars for 12 dozen fresh eggs. Add to costs pine shaving bedding and your looking at $1.75 per dozen, less pullet year.

Last edited:
I was wondering.On average how many eggs does a rhode island red hen produce in one week? what kind of nuitrishion does a rhode island red need in one week (like how humans need about 2-3 servings of milk, 2-3 servings of meat or beans, 2-4 servings of fruit, 3-5 servings of vegitables, and 6-11 servings of grain)? How much money would it cost to give one hen that amount of nuitrishion in one week?About what age does a RIR stop producing eggs?
idunno.gif

Most Rhode Island Red chickens will lay around 5+ eggs a week whether there hatchery production reds or heritage/ breeder quality Rhode Island Reds.

I raise, breed and show large fowl Reds and I get from 5 to 7 eggs a week per hen.

They will do fine on regular chicken feed.

Chris

Most Rhode Island Red chickens will lay around 5+ eggs a week whether there hatchery production reds or heritage/ breeder quality Rhode Island Reds.

I raise, breed and show large fowl Reds and I get from 5 to 7 eggs a week per hen. 

They will do fine on regular chicken feed.

Chris

My RIR was the best layer i had!! Little Jerry would give me an egg a day even in the winter!! The only time she slowed down is when she was molting.....unfortunately i lost her and the rest of my flock to a racoon
1f622.png
i would recommend worms!! Always helps my flock produce! Good luck!! RIRs are a great bird!!

idunno.gif
For the most part Chickens eat the same foods as humans do, but hens' and humans' nutritional needs are very different from each other. for instance chickens have got to have a very different diet, especially when it comes to protein requirements. Chickens being evolved from meat eating dinosaurs need a greater amount of protein derived from animal sources than you or I do. I often joke with the newbees on this sight not to nap around their chickens, they could regret it, and I don't mean "LIVE" to regret it either.

Back
Top Bottom