More chickens?

TheGuyFamily

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
Hi everyone! I am new here. My husband and I recently got 4 Plymouth Rock hens. The people we got them from also gave us their coop. It's 4x7 and the part that is totally enclosed with the roosts and nesting boxes is 4x4. There is a large enclosed run that is 500 sq feet. We will likely let them "free range" a bit when we are home. I am wondering if we can get more chickens, even just 1 or 2, while still keeping them all uncrowded and healthy. I would love some opinions on this:) if it won't work, perhaps we will build on to our current coop. We also have a huge dog house that we could adapt into a coop somehow!

Thanks for any opinions and suggestions:)

How much roosting room, each bird needs 10" - 12" of roosting space to be comfortable. If your run is 500 Sq ft and they have full access then they will probably only use the coop for roosting and laying.
I would add some more roosts.
My coop is 4x6, it has a roost pole along the 6ft wall and a roost ladder 4ft tall, 3 ft wide. My 22 chickens all fit, with room to spare.

Welcome! Pictures will help, but a sixteen sq. ft. coop is big enough for a maximum of four big hens. I started with five bantams, and then things developed... Now have about sixty, and I overwinter about thirty- five! It's called 'chicken math', and you'll need lots more space if it happens to you! Mary

Thanks! We have a ladder style roost with 3 foot long roosts (2 of them). However, all the girls sit on the same one! Lol

Back
Top Bottom