More eggbound peahen questions...urgent, please!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hello, I am still having problems with Snap, our 9 y.o. hen. As I said in my previous post from last week, when she was acting strangely before and I suspected she was eggbound, she did lay an egg on her own, and seemed to feel better. Fyi, I let the flock out this past weekend, because it was hot; 90 degrees in the barn and dusty, and I was more worried about that than the AI, since we have only had a couple of cases in our State and no documented cases in the past couple of weeks. Snap had been acting depressed and bored, but when I let the flock out, she cheered up a lot, of course, and was out with the flock doing stuff they do. Today she ate breakfast, and I didn't see her all day, but when I went to feed at dinner she was lying down on the floor and could not stand. She is alert and will eat treats. I read that not being able to stand can be a sign of being eggbound in peahens, and that vitamin E can help. I do have vitamin E capsules, but no calcium, and the feed stores are all closeds, so i can't get any calcium. I also don't have anyone to help me hold her to try to see if she does have a stuck egg, although I should be able to get someone to help me tomorrow. She let me pick her up and put her in a hospital pen, but I think it would be difficult to do more than that without help holding her. I read that she would need the contents of 8 or 10 vitamin E capsules, and I think I might be able to successfully hide that much in treats, but it doesn't seem like it's enough to really make a difference. Should I try that, or not? Fyi, we also had a rooster die from leukosis of some kind, about three weeks ago, so it's always possible that it is that. The rest of the flock is acting fine right now. Sna[ has no symptoms at all except for the inability to stand, and is not underweight. I will try to get her a veterinary appointment asap. But if we can't feel a stuck egg, should we try Vitamin E or Calcium anyway? Also, I should add that she seems to dislike layer feed, and although it is available as well as oyster shell, I've never seen her eat either. We also feed either Flock Raiser or All Flock. Her egg that she laid had a hard shell and appeared normal.

Last edited:
I mainly just want to know if anyone else has had a peahen not be able to walk because she was eggbound. Why is this? Does the egg press on a nerve, or is she just unable to walk because of pain and discomfort? I am headed out now to get the calcium since the feed stores are open.

So, just for the record, yes her inability to walk was apparently caused by being eggbound. I gave her calcium gluconate this morning and she did improve, though still somewhat uncoordinated in the afternoon and evening and was unable to get up on a higher roost.. By nightfall, though, she was eating dinner, and back up on her regular high roost for the night. I will continue to supplement her with calcium, vitamins, and high protein treats, for the next few days, at least. I still have not noted that she laid an egg, so I want to make sure to give her some extra calcium.

* thanks to KsKingBee and Castcartpony for the calcium advice.

Back
Top Bottom