1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More expensive bator..better?(Updated w/Pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zchickens, Oct 9, 2008.

1. zchickens

zchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    I struggled with my first four attempts at hatching chicks (ended up with 12 chickens out of 61 eggs, not a very good ratio), mainly, I believe, due to temperature changes in my house between night/day; causing the incubator temperature to fluctuate to significantly resulting in bad hatch rates. Anyways, a neighbors dog went through and killed half my flock about two months ago. He reimbursed me $215; and I used this to purchase a used R-COM 20 incubator off Ebay (run about $450 new). I just candled on Day 7, and so far development looks good. Five of the eggs I am incubating are a the cross of my wheaten maran hen to a blue copper roo, so I am very curious to see how the chicks will turn out, if sucessfull. The remaining eggs are 7 white orpingon (from auction) and two mutts (crosses between my blue copper and and a buff orpington....right now the only roo I have is a blue copper maran; so I don't have a wheaten maran or my orpington roo to breed with my hens).

So far I am very impressed with the R-Com. It hold temperature much more consistently than the brower top hatch incubator I have, and the work of adjusting temperature and maintaining humidity is far easier [​IMG]

So far so good [​IMG]

I will try and post some pics later on as the chicks develop.

Z

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Best incubator ever only cost $20 max. It is called a silkie hen.[​IMG]

3. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Can you keep me posted about how the hatchings go?
    I will get a R-com from DH for my birthday.
    They look so good. The only thing is that they are expensive.
    And let me know if you liked it and think it is worth the money.
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. zchickens

Feb 3, 2008
    Will do chickenma. One interesting thing to note about the R-Com 20; everytime it turns the eggs it plays a little tune [​IMG]
    It seems to be programmed with a lot of different little songs, as I have yet to hear the same tune twice (turns the eggs every hour). I am very impressed that after candling eggs, it went back up to temperature in about a minute (my old top hatch took a half hour or longer).

Z

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like it's doing you good!

As they say, you get what you pay for!

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think you have made a good choice.[​IMG]
    Besides the silkie( [​IMG] which you cant improve upon! ) I think the more spendy incubators are probably that way because in general they do a better job. However, sometimes you dont have a choice and make do with what you can get.

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the sound of your crosses and will expect pics of the babies and as they develop.[​IMG] I am thinking of ordering an a new incubator this morning. Good to hear it is going well.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  8. zchickens

Feb 3, 2008
    I decided to update this post with a few pictures...

my new (used incubator)

[​IMG]

An up close shot of the dark eggs from my wheaten hen that I am incubating (crossed with my blue copper roo)

[​IMG]

My blue copper roo (papa)

[​IMG]

My wheaten hen

[​IMG]

Even though this is a little off topic; I also purchased some new arrivals from the polutry show I went to last Saturday in New Ulm, MN - a trio of welsumers and faverolles.

My new Welsumer roo (the pictures do not do justice to how beautiful a bird he is)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the welsumer hens

[​IMG]

The trio of faverolles (they were camera shy today, so it was hard to get a good picture of them)

[​IMG]

Hope that you enjoy the pictures.

Z

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  9. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Neat birds! The bator looks great with all those lovely eggs!

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:it better work out that way,, i just paid 800 bucks for a bator.

Z, im glad its working for you!! i have 2 lg's,,,,, and almost never tried hatching again. good ta see your stubborn like me lol;)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by