More incubator problems NEED HELP(PICS ADDED)

rays123

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
GA
ok so ive got my incubator built but im having trouble keeping a constant temperature. could i solve this with the water wiggler and reading the temps from it?
ive got my incubator built out of a styrofoam cooler with a 40 watt lightbulb for heat. ive got a small pc fan for circulation. i left the hole that i ran the wires though unsealed could this be a problem? its only about the size of a pencil.

Last edited:
I built our first incubator out of an old sewing machine stand. I had real problems keeping the temp level until I put the light on a dimmer. Then I could regulate the wattage output and could then just adjust the temp that way. Once I did that, no more temp problems.

Where is youre thermastat, if you have it closer to the heat sourch like say 4 or 5 inches it keeps it a bit steader but it will still flucate, mine goes up to about 101.8 down to about 98 befor it clicks back on , but my home made wiggler only shifted up or down maybe a degree.
Someone who knows more will have better ansewers for you I am shure.

The holes are not the problem. Actually you need some holes in the bator. Both bottom and top, this gives the unit a circulation of fresh air. needed for the eggs and chicks.
An empty bator will not hold temps right. You need to put sand or water in the unit. Either of these will hold a temp for you.

Actually I think it may be my thermostat bc now it's down to 69 degrees and it won't come

here are pictures of the bator tell me if you see problems
2hecajr.jpg

rj1v61.jpg

Quote:
The only problem I can see is:
If thats your heat source on the bottom, I would move it up on the wall, between what looks like your fan and thermostat. Closer to the thermostat.

Also you might want to try a higher wattage bulb (after you put it on the wall) if you can't turn your thermostat up any higher. Like a 60 watt..instead of the 40 watt one.

With the fan in there, you need to get that temp to 99.5 if at all possible.

Also once you have the bottom freed up, you can put in heat sinks to help your temps. stay more stable. Use old jars or whatever you have handy, filled with warm water and capped tightly.

Last edited:
ok so move the light bulb closer to the thermostat and moun it on the wall? Any thing else?

Back
Top Bottom