More info on feeding oatmeal please.....

INchickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Indiana
I've been reading posts about feeding oatmeal. At what age can you give it to them.....and do you give them cooked, uncooked, or both?

I didnt try feeding it to mine until they were a month old. However I have read that you can start earlier than that. Not sure how early though. I have mixed uncooked in with yogurt. I also feed cooked. They seem to enjoy both. This morning was their first AM in their coop so I took out a warm bowl of it for them! It was a feeding frenzy!

I tried feeding mine oatmeal at feeding time and the ones who took it looked at me as if I had lost my mind!!
ep.gif

It was quite the picture I tell you. I haven't tried cooked oatmeal or yogurt yet but plan on it this weekend just to see what kind of look I get this time!
big_smile.png

I never feed oatmeal at all till mine are older, maybe two or three months old. The reason is that they need the protein levels to develop properly and oatmeal will effectively lower that. Now, if you finely chop some hardboiled egg and sprinkle it in thin, soupy oatmeal, maybe add a TBSP or two of plain yogurt in there, they are getting more protein and a digestive aid to boot. I'd not give them treats till they have some age on them.

Cooked oatmeal is preferable to raw oatmeal. Raw oatmeal somehow interferes with nutrient absorption or something like that, although it certainly won't kill them.

As for age of chick, I agree with Speckled.

Mine are about 2 months old and they wouldn't eat the raw oatmeal. I'm trying a little cooked oatmeal this weekend.
smile.png
And they are aggressive little buggers when it comes feeding time. They peck at anything that gets near them. They tried pecking the diamonds out of my ring yesterday and as I was bent over in the coop the little buggers jumped on my back trying to escape:barnie. I will be SOOO glad when we get the fence put up!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom