1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More nestboxes STAT!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Aug 22, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have an adequate amount of nestboxes in my smaller coop. In my larger coop I have 5 regular nestboxes plus two broody crates, one which is in use but the other could be used as a nestbox. There's 9 adult hens in that coop, one that stays broody, so 8 hens needing nestboxes. Six boxes is plenty.

However I have 9 young pullets coming of age. Three of them started laying this past week, but still five nestboxes is enough for 11 hens.

I haven't rushed right out and bought new boxes - large covered kitty litter pans - because I still have time. I intended to order these instead:

http://fowlstuff.com/Products.html

Still I procrastinated, or would have until I went out to the coop this morning.

All five nestboxes and the one broody crate occupied. Some double occupancy, one triple occupied and a waiting line.

Apparently all the sex links decided to start laying on the very same day; the day they turned 16 weeks old.

More nestboxes, stat!! [​IMG]

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    This made me laugh! I love it when they pile on top of each other in the nest box. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would have appreciated them waiting another week, when I wouldn't be so broke. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by