more pasty butt Q's....

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
Okay, so I have an approx. 5 day old chick (from MMH) with a piece of pooh hardened onto vent area. Last two days has pooped fine, but chirps loudly each time. Feeling some discomfort, I suspect.

Do I *need* to remove that piece or will it work itself off over the next few days?

I have tried to remove it, but it seems to be inwards to the degree that I can't really get it without hurting her. It was already hurt by a handler at the Co-Op it came from, where they "remove poop from the butt like ripping off a band-aid"
ep.gif
hmm.png
and she came to me with a very sensitive, fluffless bum.

What would you do?

Thanks again!!!

I hate to say it, but ripping it off isnt' really a bad thing. With a bare bum, the poop can't continue to stick and give you that problem. If the pasting up has completely covered the vent, your chick won't be able to poop and she will die. It is normal for them to paste up for the first week or so due to the stresses of being born and shipped around and transferred from home to home. By about a week old, it should be over unless she is truly ill. If you don't want to rip it off (trust me, they get over it very quickly), you can wash her under the faucet in warm water or wipe her with a wet cloth... but once the poop has hardened, I find that ripping it off is about all that works.

Thanks for your respons, lisahaschickens!

I'll back up a little, the chick had a pasted butt, on Tuesday, and then I removed most of the poop. She can now poop regularly. During the last two days, a remnant remained on her fluff and I put olive oil on her bum (what I had on hand), and then noticed her picking quite a bit, removing even more fluff. Bum has been VERY red and tender ( I suspect the chick was injured by "ripping the poop off" at the Co-Op. This is their approach I'm assuming, because they don't have time to do it gently with multiple brooders full of chicks for sale. I have time though, and compassion!)

I don't think that is a humane way to treat this, because of the resulting pain inflicted that the chick now has to feel, YKWIM?

So I am asking, does the remnant have to be removed? It seems like maybe over time it will release itself, when other feathers grow in? As I menioned, she is pooping and eating and everything else just fin, from what I can observe....

I also am reluctant to run her under warm water with a bum that looks so sore, wouldn't it need to heal a little first? The friction on that new sensitive skin would possibly do some permanent damage. Her vent is pretty crucial equipment for giving me eggs and all, lol!

I have heard of ripping the poop off and doing damage by injuring the intestinal tract, or pulling part of it out. Some people here alerted me to not use that method.
hu.gif

Yes, thanks, I've noted that before, but I think you're missing my question:

Can I leave the poo there to fall off on it's own?

Last edited:
I would always choose to remove it because you can't risk the blockage.

I have been known to use a batter bowl filled with VERY carefully monitored water temps and let it soak for a bit with a little salt added (epsom or sea NOT table salt) if it's really bad or sensitive. You cover it with a hand-towel or dishrag so it's dark and they calm and just hang out. No jumping out that way.

I think the picking AND re-pasting will occur less plus picking will be discouraged if you use NON-I repeat- NOT pain-free antibiotic ointment. REGULAR only (I'm not stressing it for those of you who know it will hurt them- I'm stressing it for the lurkers who don't).

I have the best luck when I remove it ALL, under warm water, not by rubbing or stressing the area, but by simply pinching the crust. I squish it with my fingertips, gently, to break it up. I let the water slowly and gently do the work. This keeps it from hurtin' the tiny little bum!

I also (some have laughed and indicated I'm a bit unconventional- I agree!) use Chicken Poop brand lip balm to soothe the area and make it less paste-able! It's bees wax and soybean oil with lavendar and other natural elements- not petroleum-based...I'm a tree-hugging dirt-worshipper...what can I say?? It works!

...and as someone wisely said, I don't use it on my lips after that...
hu.gif

I use my clean finger on the tube just so I don't transfer anything to the next chick, I'm so careful! I have a dedicated Chicken Poop Pasty Butt Chook Tube!!!!

**Edited to clarify cover bowl to avoid escapees
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great description!
thumbsup.gif

Do I put chick, feet and all, into shallow water, then? Or just put it's bum dunked in there while I hold it tipped backward? (I'm surprised they stay calm, I'll take your word for it!!
wink.png
)

We use Celtic brand sea salt, check, got that!

I don't have any antibiotic ointment, I use calendula cream for my family, containing calendula, hypericum, and comphrey, made by Thompson's Homeopathic Supplies. I don't know what the base is, maybe mineral oil?

I used to have a lovely beeswax essential oil cream for my babes' bottoms while cloth diapering but we're well beyond having it around anymore. Sigh. It would have been divine for a sore bum!

The lip balm for butts sounds great, but I *know* I won't be able to find that around here any time soon.
roll.png

Thanks for any more feedback...!

I'm glad that you asked this. I got some chicks from TSC yesterday and 4 of the 6 had pasty butt tonight. Thanks to reading and more reading on this site, I knew just what to do.

I brought my grandson into the room with me and he watched me as I gently removed all the poop from 4 little butts.
smile.png

One of the chicks wasn't happy though because she was going round and round trying to get to her wet butt! It was too comical to watch. She finally flopped down and started to eat!

I love this site and have hungrily reading everything!

~Laurie~
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom