more pecking 101

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimpaw, Jun 4, 2008.

1. kimpaw

kimpaw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    I was only able to find pine tar locally and have ordered both peck no more and blu-kote to have in my bag of tricks. I mixed the pine tar with the ingredients that are in the peck no more as I had most on hand( calendula,aloe,tea tree oil,) And put it on the now two white rocks that are being pecked . I sat and watched and the others went right after their tails. They clearly hated the taste as they were wiping their beaks all over the ground. I felt bad for the wounded as they were trying to preen themselves. It appears that the white rocks have been targeted as they are now following the third one around now. Is this normal chicken behavior and do they get over it? Do I start looking for a home for the 3 white rocks? Kimpaw

2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    In my experience birds usually pick on one another when they're overcrowded and/or bored. And once it starts, it's usually really difficult to get it to end. Is it possible you have too many birds in too small of a space? Is there anyway you could let them out to free range for at least part of the day to give them some space away from one another? A trick I've used in the winter months here, to keep them occupied is to hang a cabbage in their area, just where they can reach it. They'll spend hours pecking at it and not at one another. Good Luck!

3. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Quote:I agree with Farm Mom my chickies LOVE a hanging ear of corn. Everytime they peck it it swings and takes longer to eat!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My light brahma (the only feather footed currently in the big brooder)was getting her leg feathers pulled out and in less than a week looked like this...

[​IMG]

Poor thing. So I blu-koted her legs and there was an immediate charge on her and a few pecks but then that was that.

I also gave them in a suet feeder that I have been filling with veggies for them. No more problems.

5. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Cetawin, hey I'm in Oregon too!
    My light Brahma also has the same legs as yours except much more bloody and gross. She still has a few mangled feathers

I put the blu-kote on this afternoon and then I also have the pick no more lotion. Are you using both? How long willl there legs be purple? [​IMG] So so sad...

Have you ever had this problem before? We only have one hen that is doing the picking. The other 3 could care less. I only have 5 free ranging pullets in a huge coop so I don't think they're bored?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by