more puppy pad questions

mendogurl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Should I cut off the blue plastic border?

Do I add shavings to the brooder from the first day or when they get older?

I've not used the puppy pads but have used shavings with paper towels over them from day one. I wouldn't think you'd have to cut the blue liner off, you can overlap pads in there and then after you know they are all eating and drinking...usually a week or so, you can take the pads out. I'd still keep an eye on them and make sure they didn't start eating the shavings though.
I always have shavings in for cushioning, but others may do it differently.
Hopefully more will post answers to you soon!

Quote:
Don't cut off the border!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
- been there, done that, had to throw the dang thing away.

When you cut a puppy pad, all that neato fluffy stuff that absorbs the liquid is released and it goes everywhere in the air, flying around, getting in your nose, the carpet, your hair your eyes...
It is best just to overlap them, or even fold them if you have to fit it into a smaller space than the pad is.

I don't use shavings at all, myself - I just use the puppy pads then when they are older I put them into wire bottomed cages, but shavings are cool after they understand what food looks and feels like in their mouth.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:
Don't cut off the border!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
- been there, done that, had to throw the dang thing away.

When you cut a puppy pad, all that neato fluffy stuff that absorbs the liquid is released and it goes everywhere in the air, flying around, getting in your nose, the carpet, your hair your eyes...
It is best just to overlap them, or even fold them if you have to fit it into a smaller space than the pad is.

I don't use shavings at all, myself - I just use the puppy pads then when they are older I put them into wire bottomed cages, but shavings are cool after they understand what food looks and feels like in their mouth.

meri

Thank you everyone. Love this forum !!!!!!!!​

I use a wire brooder with a tray of shaving in the brooder for the chicks to scratch in and lay in. The poop goes through the wire into some other trays which are under the brooder with pine shaving in them to catch the poop. Easy clean up and the chicks aren't in the poop. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Back
Top Bottom