more question about humidity and temp

Rooster'swife

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
I just put 36 bantham eggs in my hovabator today and want to make sure I have the temp and humidity right. The temp is staying steady at 99.5 to 100. and the humidity is at 50%. I have read so many different things I am not sure which is the right one to go with. I just took 42 eggs out last week and only two chicks survived. They said the humidity may have been to low. I don't want to murder any more chicks. All help greatly appreciated.

Well the real issue is that you will get all kinds of answers.

The numbers you provided are right in the ballpark.

Learn to candle and watch the size of the aircell. Look around online there are several good pictorials about the subject. Manage the size of your aircell through changes in humidity.

Good luck with this batch.

The temp sounds perfect, but the humidity is higher than what I run. I prefer 30-40% for the first 18 days, 50-60% for lockdown. I do live in an area where the relative humidity is higher than most, but I incubate only when the house is climate controlled now, as in winter or summer.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully all will go well. This egg hatching is quite addictive and can't believe I coddle over these two little chicks I have here in my house. I think they actually know who I am because when I go in there to check on them and tuck them in they quiet down and go night night. Hubby says I am nuts lol.

Rooster'swife :

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully all will go well. This egg hatching is quite addictive and can't believe I coddle over these two little chicks I have here in my house. I think they actually know who I am because when I go in there to check on them and tuck them in they quiet down and go night night. Hubby says I am nuts lol.

They really do. I always say the same phrases when I go in the brooder room and even as grown birds they recognize it.​

Back
Top Bottom