More Roosters? Update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carmeno, Sep 16, 2008.

1. carmeno

carmeno New Egg

Jun 15, 2008
    We have five araucana's and they are all 5 months old. We have one rooster, or so I think. He started crowing and got his very apparant wattles and comb at about 10 weeks. So, we thought we had 4 hens and 1 roo. But, now I'm seeing changes in two of my 'hens'. They are very large, even larger then the roo, and now are showing curled, long tail feathers and wattles are coming in bright and they have small spurs. They are not crowing but one seems more assertive then usual. I thought cockrels are apparent by about 12 weeks. Is it possible for hens to carry longer tail feathers? Or do I have two more roos?

Here's one of the hens in questions and behind her is our roo. My battery ran out so I couldn't get the other hen in question.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

In the first picture I see 3 roosters and 2 hens.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That is a rooster...look at those long neck and saddle feathers, sure give away....

I'm seeing 3 roosters and 1 hen with the other picture added....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. carmeno

carmeno New Egg

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks all.... that's what I thought as well. We do have 3 roos and two hens. Good eyes picking the other 'roo'/hen out. Any ideas on why we're not hearing crowing from the other two?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 3 large roosters together, all the same age. And only 2 crow. The other never crows. The ones that crow must be the dominant ones.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I agree, I have two pens of 5 roosters!!...Only the dominant ones will crow .....

7. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I see 3 Easter Egger roos and 2 Easter Egger hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by