More Roosters? Update

carmeno

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
We have five araucana's and they are all 5 months old. We have one rooster, or so I think. He started crowing and got his very apparant wattles and comb at about 10 weeks. So, we thought we had 4 hens and 1 roo. But, now I'm seeing changes in two of my 'hens'. They are very large, even larger then the roo, and now are showing curled, long tail feathers and wattles are coming in bright and they have small spurs. They are not crowing but one seems more assertive then usual. I thought cockrels are apparent by about 12 weeks. Is it possible for hens to carry longer tail feathers? Or do I have two more roos?

Here's one of the hens in questions and behind her is our roo. My battery ran out so I couldn't get the other hen in question.

11951_mexico_08_001.jpg

11951_hens2.jpg

That is a rooster...look at those long neck and saddle feathers, sure give away....

I'm seeing 3 roosters and 1 hen with the other picture added....

Last edited:
Thanks all.... that's what I thought as well. We do have 3 roos and two hens. Good eyes picking the other 'roo'/hen out. Any ideas on why we're not hearing crowing from the other two?

Back
Top Bottom