more sick babies, REALLY need some help this time!!!!

I had to battle with some sick fowl and here is what I did: They were dusted with sevin dust once and again in 10 days. On the first day I dusted I gave them one tenth of a cc of ivomec and then I also treated them with panacure. I gave them 1/3 of a cc for 3 days. They recovered from their worms and mites but it took a while. When they were all better they were soooo beautiful.

I started out with really sick chickens from a swap meet that infected the rest. I struggled through so much. On one chicken forum I was told that I was obsessed and needed to just let them be. I wasn't obsessed, I had just purchased some very neglected chickens and I cared about them. But so what, if we're on a chicken forum, we might all be a little obsessed.
tongue.png

The sevin dust treated mites/lice, they also had gape worm which is what the ivomec cured. The panacure was for internal parasites. When you said that you inspected their poo, I have to say that won't tell you anything unless a vet did a fecal float. There are many kinds of parasites that are not seen by the naked eye. Chickens are always going to have worms, but if it's hot and you have an overload they may not do well. I worm my birds in the spring now, and once in the fall.

On a side note, sometimes even the vet doesn't know what a disease is. I took my chicken in when she was the sickest and I told them she had gape worm. They had to get out their books and said she sure did.

Quote:
You're quite welcome! I was off the forum quite a bit and missed your posts- I moved my WHOLE FARM...and in this heat. Hope you can get those babies up and at 'em again.

If any are sitting tucked up (with their neck retracted into their bodies, fluffed up) you may have coccidiosis going on, to boot. This will make them malnourished and lethargic, as their intestines are being attacked by parasites.

Find some Amprolium pronto if you suspect this. Brand names are Corid, Amprol, and more. It's a Thiamine blocker and won't weaken them with treatment, and it works very quickly. They can pass very quickly and without very many symptoms with this illness, and heat exacerbates the problem. Coccidia naturally are present in the soil, and sometimes they overwhelm the chicks before they build an immunity.

Good luck!

well no sign of cocci, even though 2 of the sick hens are tucking their heads in. Sadly I do not think these 2 will make it, they are now refusing to drink or eat. the othr 2 are doing better, drinking and eating but are still pretty weak on the legs, I might be wrong about the one, who might actually have a leg injury from a fight with another juvenile roo though. anyhow might have to cull the other 2 hens and hope for the best for the 2 that are eating and drinking. They are on Tetracycline 250 for the next 5 days. the vet came to see them, all seemed fine and said that to him it was obvious it was heat induced. No one else is sick and they are all being medicated anyhow for the next week just to be on the safe side.

the 2 who are not well still have greeny runny poo, not really sure what is up with that but vet said heat exhaustion will make it look like that. I have resorted to baby food and apple sauces and yogurt. since they refuse to eat their chicken food.

Quote:
I cleaned out the coop and it was thoroughly inspected, same with all the birds no signs of mites or lice. I still gave them a good spot to dust off with DE and they are all seemingly happy. Except my 4 sick hens, which as I said earlier I think one might just have an injured leg from a fight. only time will tell which ones will recover and which ones won't.

Back
Top Bottom