More than one egg a day for a duck?

MaureenD

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
South Central Wisconsin
How common is it for ducks to lay more than one egg a day?
y hens are just coming up on their 1 yr Bday. I have been getting one egg per hen per day.
I have heard they can lay two... how do I know if I am to look for more?

Thanks! Love this forum!

I'm not sure exactly how common, but we have 6 gals and probably a once or twice a month get 7 eggs. And there is no way it got missed from the day before. LOL (even when it's my 11 year old looking
tongue.png
)

And that is not taking into account that we have one of our gals (not sure which one), I don't think, lays at all...which technically means I have two who lay double on occasion.

I have 2 ducks only one is definitely a female and I was sure the other one was a male since he mounts the female regularly. I too have been finding 2 eggs a day, for several months. Not everyday but often enough. I’m starting to think that the male that has all the signs of being one, perhaps is not a male but has been taking the role of the male. Is that possible? or is it more likely that my true female is laying 2 eggs per day quite regularly? Puzzled

I have 2 ducks only one is definitely a female and I was sure the other one was a male since he mounts the female regularly. I too have been finding 2 eggs a day, for several months. Not everyday but often enough. I’m starting to think that the male that has all the signs of being one, perhaps is not a male but has been taking the role of the male. Is that possible? or is it more likely that my true female is laying 2 eggs per day quite regularly? Puzzled
Females have been known to mount other females. Unless you see a penis pop out when mounting, I would suspect it's a female.

Back
Top Bottom