more than one?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Turkeyrun, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I think it can technically happen - specifically maybe one early in the morning and then another late at night - but it's not normal. Should normally take about 26 hours between eggs.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    One of my young hens used to lay two a day a few times a week, but she's an old lady now and barely lays at all,

Sandie

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Weeeeeeellll, I gotta tell ya- there are folks here who will tell ya its a physical impossibility, and the very next post will be about how someones "Henrrietta layed 2 eggs a day for days on end" . I say it is possible, but I dont think anyone could make it happen, or breed a chicken to lay 2 a day regularly. There seems to always be an exception to every rule when it comes to our birds! [​IMG]

For myself, I have had it happen. I only had 1 hen and I got 2 eggs from her in one day- not one at 2 am and another at 11:30 at night, but an egg at 9 am and another around 8 pm. That only happened to me once though when she was young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by