morel fever

georgem

Songster
14 Years
Jan 4, 2009
North East Kansas
Here is a short video clip from yesterday's hike.

If an embedded video doesn't appear below (I'm not sure if that works here), copy and paste the following link to your browser's address bar: --
--

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

I was expecting to see little gnomes hiding under them, lol! Why is it that when I think of morel mushrooms that I think of gnomes???

Were they good? I wonder if those grow down here? Where do you have to look?

HappyHen: I've been studying mushrooms as a fairly serious amateur for a few years now and serve as the editor of a little newsletter about fungi in Kansas, but i was introduced to this species at a young age by my parents. There are several different edible mushrooms that are as good, if not better, than morels.

If you are interested in learning about how to identify edible mushrooms a great online resource is www.mushroomexpert.com

Georgia: If you are located in Knoxville, then yes, they grow in your region like mad.

Gnomes and mushrooms go hand an hand...

IMG_6791.jpg

just watch out for the trolls, they are usually found hanging out around the toxic species... I traded this guy a handful of old cigarettes butts in exchange for being lead to this mushroom, Gyromitra caroliniana aka The Beefsteak Morel, a potentially toxic mushroom that many morel hunters eat.

IMG_6811.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some beautiful morels! We search for them around here - but we haven't found any the past two years. It's annoying because we own about 65 acres of woods and can't find them - but a friend who is a painter was painting a house just a few miles up the road and found some HUGE morels growing right in the front yard of that house! My husband is originally from Nebraska and grew up eating them. He loves them. Maybe we'll have better luck this year.

Beautiful pictures! And yummy looking meal!

Yum!!! have you got some great eating there!

We just innoculated some oak logs with nonsense, Maitake, Oyster, and Reishi spawn a couple of weeks ago. We got it from fungi perfecti and they were nice and white plugs. We have had nonsense logs for several years now, and they are starting to rot away, so it was time for some new ones.

We had a few morels at our last home, but have found none where we live now- so far - but what a treat when we did get a few.
had found a good many oyster mushrooms on some felled poplar trees last year, enough to can and they sure were good too.

BluSkyLen... funny, my shiitake logs just reached the end of their life cycle recently so I gave them to my chickens. The logs still attract a few bugs that the chickens enjoy eating and the logs make comfortable little perches.

Trust me morel mushrooms are the kings of the forest, nothing on this planet even coems near to morel mushrooms. Check out the lensbelow to find out how to use them clean them, cook them, find them
Catherine

Back
Top Bottom