Moringa Supplement?

DoodleTurkey

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
Howdy y'all!

I have a couple of six week old baby turkeys I'm raising, but my local feed store recently stopped carrying the good 30% feed for them. I have a 22% protein crumble for them now, which is ridiculously low for their age as I understand it. I was wondering, could I add some moringa leaf powder to it to supplement it for more protein? If so, how much would y'all say that I should add per cup of feed?

Last edited:
Howdy y'all!

I have a couple of six week old baby turkeys I'm raising, but my local feed store recently stopped carrying the good 30% feed for them. I have a 22% protein crumble for them now, which is ridiculously low for their age as I understand it. I was wondering, could I add some moringa leaf powder to it to supplement it for more protein? If so, how much would y'all say that I should add per cup of feed?

Six week old turkeys will do alright on a 22% protein feed. At 6 weeks old it is okay to switch them to a turkey gamebird grower feed which is normally 24% protein.

Based on the claimed high amounts of Calcium in the moringa leaf powder, I strongly recommend against feeding it to young poultry of any kind especially turkey poults. High Calcium levels can cause kidney problems with young poultry.

While I don't know how high the calcium levels are (never heard of it being a plus or a minus), I don't think it's that high of a protein source. I supplement my feed with mealworms, split peas, hemp seed, chia, hard boiled eggs, etc. I let my broody hen raise my most recent batch and they've been free ranging since two days old too. They are really into fresh greens and it's cute to watch them chase bugs.

Could you supplement with sprouts or fodder?

Thanks everyone! Good to know about the calcium thing. And thanks so much for suggestions for other protein sources too!

Back
Top Bottom