Morning chores... evening chores 2-4x's OR MORE A DAY

Joyfillednomads

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
United States of America
It was GREAT DURING COVID, but our lives are consumed by chores. Nothing is automatic. We have small waterers and feeders and have to haul water.
I was wanting a rain barrel system for water. And some diy feed system where I can put the feed (not sure coop or run). And some type of good automatic door.
It's crazy to be enslaved to our birds, but we are. And we rush to try to put them up at sunset...
Like our lives to be more than 'chickens'
As much as we love them and will continue to do so...
Chore should take minutes not hours for few birds. Even with several ages and batches of birds that all get different stuff.
Asking for my Christmas early to go mostly hands free, except hauling sacks of feed lol

Attachments

• 20210317_173455.jpg
    20210317_173455.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210315_180212.jpg
    20210315_180212.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210312_143403.jpg
    20210312_143403.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210310_105010.jpg
    20210310_105010.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 1
I have an Ador pop door. Works very well and runs on a lantern battery, so no need to constantly replace batteries.

There are lots of people that use the diy 5 gallon feeder (that has pvc elbows) with good luck. I had one and found that chipmunks were getting inside the feeder, so I switched to the Ratproof Chicken Feeder.

I have three 5 qt waters. I keep one in the run. When it gets low, I fill another and place it in the 'main' water spot and then move the low one to a secondary spot.

Winter is a different story. I only put one out. As it starts to freeze, I replace it with a fresh one and take the slushy one back to the house. I work from home, so have the flexibility to go out multiple times per day, if needed.

5 qt.JPG

I use two 14 gallon drums with horizontal nipples for waterers and I use no waste feeders with the elbows. I top off the water and feed weekly. I used to have a secure coop and run, before I moved, so I didn't have to lock them up at night. Now I do, but I have no plans on getting an automatic door. Someone is always around to lock them up, but I hope to make the new run secure one day, so I don't have to keep locking them up every night!

Here's a link for the DIY no waste feeder.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

Feeder and waterer before I moved
No waste feeder and Horizontal nipple waterer.jpg

I have these same feeders and they work very well, highly recommended!
I use two 14 gallon drums with horizontal nipples for waterers and I use no waste feeders with the elbows. I top off the water and feed weekly. I used to have a secure coop and run, before I moved, so I didn't have to lock them up at night. Now I do, but I have no plans on getting an automatic door. Someone is always around to lock them up, but I hope to make the new run secure one day, so I don't have to keep locking them up every night!

Here's a link for the DIY no waste feeder.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

Feeder and waterer before I moved
View attachment 2675247

Back
Top Bottom