Mortality rate of poults

Quote:
Thanks Steve! I will keep this in mind for next year. I am trying not to expand the farm too quickly. I would definitely be interested in hatching eggs next spring, especially if they will hatch under a broody chicken.

If you start them with some chicks to clue them in about eating/drinking, how long would you leave the chicks there before separating them to their own brooder? Could they stay with the poults for a few weeks? Or would the turkey starter not be good for the chicks?

Thanks,

Pat, getting 3 BBB poults in May

We do only until the poults are eating and drinking well, about a week or two. By then the poults have outgrown the chicks and do fine.

Steve in NC

ok, will do, thanks!
smile.png

Pat

Quote:
I would definitely go with this if it is an option for you. The only real difference we've had with turkeys and chickens is the shipment. If there are some bad looking poults upon arrival in a shipment, there are just as many bad looking chicks. If all the chicks are healthy, then the poults usually are as well. I would choose the hatchery nearest you. Even if it costs a bit more, the decrease in mortality rate often makes up for it. You of course want to do your research, but we have actually had a very slight (and I mean VERY slight) difference in the mortality rate of poults vs. chicks.

I want to raise 50 poults for Thanksgiving and 50 for Christmas,
I want to free range them or put them on pasture.
I have learned so much from this group that I told husband I would come here to learn.

So, here goes for a first grader in raising turkeys.
I plan to brood them in children swimming pools to start
When they are field ready fenced area with cattle panel put in circle. Three tee post would be used. One tall one in center, two other will form gate. Top of a five gallon bucket on center tee post then trap over the top and tie to bottom on panel.
Several waters and feeder place around pen.
Out side of large pin a couple of herd dogs with electric collar to keep out bad things, two legged and four legged.
How comes the hardest part
What kind do I order? I am lean to Heriloom?
I am figuring 26 weeks to finish. April 10 for Thanksgiving is this right and May 10 for Christmas.??????
I can't get org. cert. this year but would love to raise them that way.
I would have to get feed out of Tx or Ks. I learned of a guy in OK City that totally raises his own food so I am trying to see if he has extra. The state org cert
I would love a huge bird because when I was asking if poeple would pay more for pasture birds, I ask what they were looking for.
I. A big bird like grandpa use to raise.
2.Taste that the store birds don't have
3. Not shot up or food a bunch of medicine and unhealthy food.
Where the three things top on the list.

Any sage advice will be welcomed or telling me I am totally crazy like my kids when I told them about my idea, won't upset me.
We have 350 acres paid for, my husband been laid off and was do to retire in June next year. We thought his retirement would be about $1600 a month because he was going to retire a year from June but now it's $800. So, we thinking of ways to use our ranch without going back in debt. Not real big things just small ways to have cash follow. I raise eggs and sale eggs too.

I am also interested in eggs to put in my bator. I have a huge one that I picked up when Emus went south for a song. Plus I making one. I saw a picture of a cats hideout made to look like a end table. So, of course the light bulb lite up. Will let you know if it works out. My husband a wood worker, so I design and he builds. Sometimes very unhappy but he does it.
Back to setting eggs so I also am looking for places to buy eggs.

Now that I have talked your leg off, I will wait to hear from the pros. Thanks in advances for all your help.

I will may get my poults from Privet South of Clovis, NM
I have heard good things about them and talked to them this morning but if anyone knows of some others please share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Hello and good questions. I don't know since I am only starting to think about getting turkeys myself.
You probably want to start your own post and ask these questions there under a different subject heading so more people will look and be able to help. Good luck! The new post button is on the Other Fowl... main page in the upper right-hand corner.

I am wanting to raise 100 turkey on pasture
What breed would be ready by Thanksgiving?
What breed works for pasture?
How much pasture for that length they need to be on it?
I like some big birds but nothing under 18 or so pounds.
I am all looking for eggs to hatch

Back
Top Bottom