Mosquito bites

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by michickenwrangler, May 31, 2011.

1. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Even my mosquito bites have mosquito bites! I am so itchy that I want to use a straight razor to scratch with! My MIL told me to put rubbing alcohol on them, but I know that will sting and I'm a chicken. Will have to give the deodorant a try (on the bites, that is!)

I feel so bad for all the people who have been posting about the gnats and flies and mosquito swarms. I heard there is a mosquito plant or citronella geranium out there that works great for repelling mosquitoes. Might have to hang that around the coop, once the DH and the carpenter friend get it built. I keep threatening to keep the chickens in the bathtub if they don't get moving on this. My chicks are coming August 2-4!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Crowing

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Okay, I used the Old Spice and they still itch.

But at least my mosquito bites smell good!!!

Maybe someone meant we're supposed to carry the deodorant
    tube around with us and smash the mosquito's with it? I even
    gave up and came inside...didn't work. So much rain, the mosquitos
    are really big this year...they can get the door open.

3. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    A hydrocortisone cream will really help. That's what made me think of Anusol........if it takes care of the itch that it is really made for, why wouldn't it take care of the itch from a bite...

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Most deoderants, like Old Spice, have a lot of alcohol in them, lol.

I have tried the citronella geraniums - they only help if you are literally rolling in them. Move 12" away and you are nicely scented mosquito bait! [​IMG]

5. Rosemary oil diluted and put into a spray pump will keep them off. I am allergic to the bites (I swell up-bites get as big as quarters even BEFORE I scrathc them) and mosquitos find me and bite me before they go after anyone else. But the rosemary oil will keep me safe for 4 hours if its hot out and I sweat, and longer if its cold out.

6. caspernc

caspernc Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    This is kind of funny....but when ever my bites swelled really big I was in the family way.....no kidding. My jusband would say, "Girl what bit you?" and by the third baby he would say, "Well lets start picking out names!" [​IMG]

7. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    I've heard that if you use a dryer sheet and rub it on your body before you go out, it'll keep them away.
    Haven't ever tried it, but I know people who will swear by it.

8. I use a hippie tea tree deoderant. It didn't work. DH's old spice did though...

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    chickensducks&agoose :

I use a hippie tea tree deoderant. It didn't work. DH's old spice did though...

Lol, I needed that.

Actually, I still have some of my departed husband's Old Spice left.​

10. even if it doesn't help the bites, i bet it will make your heart warm to smell his smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: