Mosquito Granules (lemongrass, mint & garlic oil)-Safe for Chickens?

kawaii

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Leon County, FL
I'm wondering about these Mosquito Repellent Granules that I've seen on Amazon and Gardeners' Supply, which claims to be poison free and made of natural oils (lemongrass, mint and garlic oil). Has anybody used this? Do you think it would be safe for chickens if they curiously picked at it? It seems like it would be ok. I live on a lake AND next to a swamp in Florida and am desperate for some poison-free mosquito control for my chooks and for my family! My Flowtron & Stinger zappers don't work on these bugs.

Dr. T's DT336 Mosquito Repelling Granules --on Amazon

Same stuff @ Gardener's Supply --
Dr. T's DT336 Mosquito Repelling Granules

Anybody used it or tried it or heard of anybody who has?

thanks!

NO! The mint and garlic oils re problematic if fed to birds. Not sure but I think the other oil is toxic too.

However, the Canadian military developed granules that you scatter in the pond (natural ingredients) which prevent water based larvae from hatching by affecting the surface tension of the water. Not to be fed to waterfowl or poultry though- applied at night when birds are in coops so they dissolve. Most pond care shops have them.

Methoprene pellets will be available to the public soon, when supply catches up with demand.

Good article here-
http://www.mosquitoes.org/fpconst.html

Also, for inside the coop try no-pest strips (dichlorovos). Combined with the shade, it gives the birds a safe refuge from the insects. Cage in hardware cloth to prevent pecking and hang high in coop, not directly over food/water. Has worked for us for 22 years.

Is it legal to release mosquito fish in your state? Some jurisdictions in California provide them free to homeowners who will release them.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...ing&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
Thank you! Will try your advice. You reminded me that we did get mosquito fish stocked in our lake for free from our County Mosquito Control office a couple of years ago...will see if they will give us more, and if it's still for free!

Wasn't planning on using the granules in the chicken areas, mainly in the people yard where the chickens aren't...it's just that there are a few of them that fly over to hang out with us...was worried that they would pick at the granules...but I won't be getting that now.

Back
Top Bottom