Mosquitoes in the coop!

Mel35

Chirping
Sep 23, 2023
Hey guys,

We have recently had a flooding here in parts of Queensland and I have noticed that the mosquito's are running rampant atm including in the chicken coop. When I went over to lock them up the other night you could see them just everywhere in the nesting boxes. My little rooster ended up with some bites on his comb but the girl's came out of it pretty OK. So my question is; Is there any advice or knowledge that you guys can give me when it comes to controlling mosquito's in the coop. Is there a spray you can get for the nesting boxes, I am getting ready to move house in the coming weeks so I am not looking to plant anything at this point in time but any other advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you ✌🏼

I have heard you can spray citronella essential oil in the boxes but definitely do your own research before you do it since I've never personally done it.

Permethrin 0.5% can be sprayed in the coop which lasts for 30 days. It may be available in a more concentrated form to mix with water to use in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Make sure to follow instructions to weaken it to 0.5%.Take chickens out of coop to spray, and let them back in when the spray has dried in a couple of hours.
https://diypestcontrol.com/permethr...gzbnKFwaS2Zg3YrKxZv3ttDi4N-MPbn0aAmYgEALw_wcB

I like to use a mix of bug repelling herbs, dry marigolds from my garden, and essential oils to keep away mosquitoes.
Which essential oils do you use ? We have mozzi problems too, more recently, a frightening number of the tiger mosquitoes from Asia which carry the Zeka virus and dengue fever to name but two. Many people around here have been ill by their bites.
Hugz

I have tried so many things! We have horrible mosquitoes! And when I say horrible I mean HORRIBLE!! What helps a little is a bug zapper… vanilla extract spayed in coop and nest boxes… coffee grounds on a tray out of reach… but if your weather is warm fans help the most!! It’s still pretty cool here at night so no fans on yet but I plan to try a few more things. I’ll update if they work🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom