Mosquitoes

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
We have gotten rain almost every day for the last month or so here in North Texas. I have seen swarms of mosquitoes bothering my hens. Is there anything I can spray on their legs to help them?

Insect repellents contain deet. It is an effective repellent, but there are questions of its safety. FDA claims it is safe. Its your choice to believe what they claim. :idunno
I avoid such repellents personally, but have used the Avon Skin So Soft in the past. They were less effective, but something, is better than nothing. Since then, Avon has a newer product called.

Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray .​

It contains Picaridin. That is supposed to be less potentially irritating to human skin. I have not tried this one yet.
There are also other natural products available that are free from both of these chemical ingredients.
Here is a link to a site that does explain some of them.
https://www.bestproducts.com/parenting/kids/g1387/natural-bug-repellent/

You may read thru the ingredients, and try some of your own options, like
lemon eucalyptus oil, cinnamon oil, thyme oil. I don't have any experience with these oils, but I also don't think they would be toxic to your chickens.

If you are only treating your chickens' legs, I would first try smearing some Crisco vegetable shortening. You can also try margarine as well. I use these to treat leg mite infestation on chickens' legs. Many peeps prefer using Vaseline, But I don't eat Vaseline, but do eat margarine myself.
Vaseline is not toxic to chicken BTW, and would possibly work also to repel those mosquitoes. Or at least prevent bites/stings:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

We have gotten rain almost every day for the last month or so here in North Texas. I have seen swarms of mosquitoes bothering my hens. Is there anything I can spray on their legs to help them?
Are the skeeters bugging their legs during the day in the run or on the range?
or and night on the roost?
A fan blowing at the roost area with just enough flow to disrupt the bugs flight is probably the best deterant.

You can put window screen on all coop vents as well as the entrance to the coop. See pics:
002.JPG 002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom