Most active time of day at a chicken show?

mountaintopchicken

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
I've been to a couple (not showing) but mostly came in the middle of the day, and there weren't too many people around, and I didn't get to meet anyone whose birds I was looking at. I mean people were there, but only really near the display tables and not too many by the cages, except for the judges doing the judging. Do you think early in the morning is the best time to go? Would more people be around taking care of their chickens?

I've been to a couple (not showing) but mostly came in the middle of the day, and there weren't too many people around, and I didn't get to meet anyone whose birds I was looking at. I mean people were there, but only really near the display tables and not too many by the cages, except for the judges doing the judging. Do you think early in the morning is the best time to go? Would more people be around taking care of their chickens?
Most exhibitors are around the aisles at nine oclock when most shows start the judging. During the judging it is considered very polite to stay out the aisle the Judge in working with.

Not really about showing times or anything, but I have a couple questions about shows: is it usually roosters being shown, or are hens shown as well? And what kind of criteria does a chicken have to meet to participate in a show?

A bird must conform to the breed standard. Cocks, cockerels, hens and pullets can all be shown.

Each breed belongs to a class of birds. Such as, the Mediterranean, American, Asiatic, etc. classes for largefowl. Bantams have different types of classifications. Such as, RCCL (Rose combed clean-legged), SCCL (single-combed clean-legged), Feather-Legged, etc.

Within the breeds, there are varieties of birds. The varieties describe the colors and types of birds. For example:

A Leghorn belongs to the Mediterranean class.
A particular Leghorn can be white with a single comb or someone may be showing a dark brown Leghorn that has a rosecomb. These birds will compete against each other for the class.

The winner of the class will compete with other winners of the other respective classes and will proceed to the Champion Row where the winner and reserve of the show will be chosen.

These is just a general run-down.

PLEASE, do not go before the show starts. People are cranky from lack of sleep, are busy getting their birds prepped for the show and do not want to talk. During the judging is a good time to go to the sale area and check out some birds. Ask people around that area that look like they know what they are doing.

Usually 11AM is a good idea to start finding people.

PLEASE, do not go before the show starts. People are cranky from lack of sleep, are busy getting their birds prepped for the show and do not want to talk. During the judging is a good time to go to the sale area and check out some birds. Ask people around that area that look like they know what they are doing.

Good to know. I definitely won't bother anyone that looks busy or cranky
smile.png

Great, thanks! So does that mean a chicken of more than one breed, for example a Silkie-Polish cross cannot participate?

A bird must conform to the breed standard. Cocks, cockerels, hens and pullets can all be shown. 

Each breed belongs to a class of birds. Such as, the Mediterranean, American, Asiatic, etc. classes for largefowl. Bantams have different types of classifications. Such as, RCCL (Rose combed clean-legged), SCCL (single-combed clean-legged), Feather-Legged, etc.

Within the breeds, there are varieties of birds. The varieties describe the colors and types of birds. For example:

A Leghorn belongs to the Mediterranean class.
A particular Leghorn can be white with a single comb or someone may be showing a dark brown Leghorn that has a rosecomb. These birds will compete against each other for the class.

The winner of the class will compete with other winners of the other respective classes and will proceed to the Champion Row where the winner and reserve of the show will be chosen.

These is just a general run-down.

Back
Top Bottom