Most annoying Hawk there is

bantamsohyeah

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Edgehill, Georgia
I am getting so aggravated!!!
somad.gif
I have been dealing with a hawk for months now and have tried just about everything to get rid of him. I must have more than one. Living in the country in Georgia, they must be smarter than I am. Someone told me to put up a scarecrow. Well
barnie.gif
I put up three around their pen. I have one standing up holding a rake.. Two are sitting in chairs like they are having a conversation...
idunno.gif
He got my favorite little bantam rooster this morning. I was devasted. What I want to know is their a breed of chicken who eats hawks or at least fights back???
celebrate.gif
I would love to see one let that ole hawk have it. They always let me know one is around, but I just can't get down to the chicken yard fast enough. I have free roam chickens but I guess I am going to have to close them all in to keep them safe if I can't figure out what to do about this darn hawk problem. HELP!
hu.gif

I don't know much about hawks, other than they LOVE chicken
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy. I have a red tailed hawk that's been here too, for the past few days. My silkies stay put up, but I leave my roo and his girls out. He's very protective and will even protect againist flies
roll.png
I don't think there are any chickens that eat hawks, but a good roo will put up a fight if he has to. Hens have been known to even take them on and win. I would keep them put up especially since the hawk took your little roo. Once they find a meal, they'll stay around.

If you ever get to be smarter than the hawk, you will eventually figure out you can pen your chickens up in something with a cover over the top and then the hawk won't be able to get your chickens.

Quote:
And once the hawk discovers that the buffet has been closed it may move on. There is no reason for the hawk to leave when food is readily available.

I would purchase a Jersey Giant roo.
smile.png
I have one that protects my flock, he is the nicest thing but when he has to protect his ladies he really protects.
wink.png
His dad killed a rattle snake that was in the chicken coop but was unfortunately bitten and died of the venom.
sad.png
My new Jersey Giant is just as protective as his dad but he is a little bigger, He has killed a few garden snakes but I am sure if there was a hawk he would take it down.
lol.png

P.S. he is also very nice to the ladies ( he has a favorite lady who is brings dead bugs to)
roll.png

:frowThanks everybody for your replies. I am in the process of rebuilding the pen. They had done so well being free range chickens and haven't had any problems for years but for the past few months is has gotten really bad. I know that closing them up will end the hawks dinners, but if I can get my sights on him he is going to be history. Not saying how, but history!
tongue2.gif
My Dad is going to get some heavy duty fishing line and string it up all around the pine trees where he flies in to swoop down to catch them and he may have a hard time getting loose from that.
hide.gif
Its going to be a
yippiechickie.gif
day for us when we catch him. Thanks again and I just may look into the Giant Jersey Roo.

Buy the young Jersery Giant roosters or Game (fighting) rooster and he will keep the hawks away.

Hawks are very wary of humen and they flee at sight of humen.

Bigger the better=more meats and bigger eggs, a bigger chickens are too heavy & too big for hawks to carry.

As hawks are preyed by Golden eagles, you can make a eagle out of cardpapers and paint it black, wave the cardpaper eagle in air each time you see hawks.

While working on the pen attract some crows or other birds that will chase the hawk away.

Bottle rockets work well and it will not harm them. just shoot one up in the air near them(not at them) ,it may take a few days for them to understand this is not a good place to hang out but it has worked at my place for many years as a new hawk will try to settle into the territory.

Back
Top Bottom