Most cost effective fencing?

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I want to expand my run by fencing off several paddocks so that I can rotate my birds so the grass has a chance to grow back for them, and to reduce the risk of parasites/bacteria building up in the soil. In order to do this I'm going to need a ton of fencing. To do exactly what I'd want idk I'm guessing that I'd need at least 1000 feet just to get started. Between fencing and tposts welded wire fence has been running me $160 per 100 feet. I have a child due in the next couple of weeks so I can't be laying up that sort of money for chickens at the moment.

Are there any decent cheaper alternatives? I'm not so worried about predators, I'm always out with them and I've never seen a predator during the day, so it needs to be more of a confinement fence than anything.

How many birds do you have?
Right now I have 37.

though the solar charger itself is rather expensive, and doesn't deter big predators.

Depends entirely on your circumstances. But yes, its a possibility.

Solar charger might not be an option, I have a whole lot of tree cover where I'd be putting this fencing. And at any rate unless I'm looking in the wrong place the electric netting that I'm seeing for sale is almost double the cost per foot compared to welded wire and tposts.

Would plastic poultry netting without the electric fencing metal work? Or would it be too weak and cause chickens to tangle themselves up in it?

Right now I have 37.

Solar charger might not be an option, I have a whole lot of tree cover where I'd be putting this fencing. And at any rate unless I'm looking in the wrong place the electric netting that I'm seeing for sale is almost double the cost per foot compared to welded wire and tposts.

Would plastic poultry netting without the electric fencing metal work? Or would it be too weak and cause chickens to tangle themselves up in it?

The thing is that you wouldn't need to fence the entire area because the electric poultry netting is easily moved. Though it costs more per foot you need much less because of the portability.

Back
Top Bottom