Most docile rooster breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sianara, Jul 3, 2011.

1. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I've decided to get a rooster (again) next year for my large hen flock. In the past I've had Ameraucana, WCB polish, Australorp, Lakenvelder & Sebright roosters and have got rid of all of them because of aggressiveness to both me and the hens. It's been several years but I'm ready to try again and am I'm thinking I should probably go with a larger breed mainly because it seems as though the larger breeds tend to be more docile than med/small breeds.

I'd love to hear any experiences with large breed roosters whether it be good or bad.

Thanks!

eta 1: I also had a silkie partridge rooster that was the best I've ever had but I rehomed him when I realized that silkies were waaaay too docile/simple (stupid, sorry silkie lovers) for MY tastes (I mean they never did master walking up a slight ramp...)

eta 2: I have a bantam d'uccle rooster (Alexander the Great) who is about 5 years old now. He was part of a 15 chick flock of which 11 turned out to be roosters so I took my time deciding which one to keep. I separated the guys and put each rooster in with the hens one at a time for a few days to see which was the least aggressive to them and as it turned out Alexander was the LAST one and he was a complete gentleman to them. In fact, he still is. I have watched him break up hen fights by just getting in between them. He has always been interested in chicks but so far I haven't let him raise them with the moms but maybe I will next year... Anyhoo, I mention this because he is "assertive" to me or anyone else who dares to walk into his yard but the funny thing is he will only charge ME once I walk out of the yard and close the gate then he flies like a bat out of he** and crashes into it. Cracks me up everytime. Whenever I walk into their yard he makes an "ut oh SHE'S back!" kinda worried sound but keeps his distance. I do from time to time chase him with the little red shovel which reminds him I am the boss [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    cubalayas are not aggressive and look good in the yard.

3. sianara

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Really? Everything I've read about cubalayas says they are very aggressive as they're a fighting breed. Do you have them in a mixed flock? Very curious...

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    they are not game or man aggressive. they will protect their hens from other roosters

5. annecreates

annecreates Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    I have some kind of Sumatra, and he is a perfect gentleman... he sacrificed himself for his girls when a big rottweiler chased the flock (only lost his tail, btw), always catches treats for the girls and calls them over (grapes, berries, bugs....), and alerts them of danger. He even had all the hens in the corner of the run and guarded them from a hawk in the area. I didn't think I wanted a rooster, but he's been great! He's colored like a Moran.

6. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I honestly think it has everything to do with the individual chick and not so much the breed. If you raise the chick yourself, you can get it more adjusted to being tamer and handled...but you never know what the individual temperment will be. And for that you will get SOOOO many different responses on your question. But with that, I raised and sold 5 different breeds of chicks that turned out to be roos.
    1. Black Bantam Cochin Frizzle, was the MOST aggressive with other chickens and tried to attack and pick a fight with everyone! BUT you could hold him in your hand and he was soooo sweet. BUt serious "little man" syndrome...
    2. Rhode Island Red, no matter how much attention we paid him he was stand-offish and didn't like being held at all, but liked being with other chicks, kind of mean...
    3. WhiteRock, was a BIG boy and nice to both us and other chicks but average
    4. Buff Orpington, the SWEETEST chicken I have ever had, so sad he was a HE. Loved us and the other chicks, stood up for the other chicks and would fall asleep in your arms, and quiet
    5. EE boy, he started out not liking being held but ended up being a super sweet roo, I still talk to his owner now, he loves his hens, the best roo they have ever had, takes his girls for walks every morning and will walk into the house if the door is left open and sit on someones lap and eat dinner with them! LOL

So with what I know, I would go with an Orpington or an EE if I could have a roo, I think you have a better chance of getting better temperment with them.

7. sianara

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Orpington sounds like a good one. I was also wondering about Dominiques and Delawares...

I do agree with you about the individual chicks and individual temperments but I've been through 16 roosters of all differing breeds (both standard and bantam) and only kept one which is a d'uccle (now 5 years old). He still challenges me a few times a week but he's got to know the "little red shovel" quite well. I usually advance on him and "scoop" him up and give him a little air ride to remind him of whose boss. The only reason I've kept him is he is great with his hens. He's had 4 hens for years and recently integrated with another of my bantam flocks of 8 hens. He treats them all quite lovely and I just love hearing the crow of a rooster not to mention getting chicks yearly if I so choose [​IMG]

I'm hoping to get more info regarding the larger breeds and temperment (in general). I know it's only a generalization but that's at least a step in the right direction.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    My .02:

My order of 3 polish crested females grew up to be 1 hen and 2 roos. maybe they are hard to sex. anyway, when the roos hit adolescence, they got MEAN, and I mean velociraptor mean. Spurring me, following me, and tormenting my girls. SO they hit the pot for a nice family down the street. The girls were relieved, to say the least.

Not sure if that is common among Polish. The hen that I have is a sweet entertaining girl. Shes my fav. But I will never get another Polish roo. even tho they are BEAUTIFUL.

9. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    If you want a small breed, silkie.
    Nicest breed I have right now are barred rock/light sussex mixes. I guess because they had well mannered mommies lol. As for purebreds, no idea.

10. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I have not found a rooster I would trust yet around small kids. I think they all go nuts occasionally. I had some golden comets that would stalk you and attack when they knew you were not paying attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by