Most expensive breed of chicken?

True, but the dorking breed dates back to the Roman occupation of Britain, older than most current breeds. However, I'm not sure how long WHITE dorkings have been around, lol. And I did notice that the BREED was listed as "white dorking."
gig.gif

Since that is the case, I can offer a breed that was a breed, a thousand years before the Dorking was the five toed mutts described. For a good price I could have them drop shipped from several locations around the country. No local pick up because I do not own any.
roll.png

Yes, and swindlers originally advertised Easter Eggers as tasting like quail.....it is of course convenient that quail tastes like chicken, capisci?

(I just now saw this.)

It could be swindling, sure... But I wonder about that. Kind of like a white potato versus a yam/sweet potato. They're basically the same thing... Except that they aren't. :p

Black meat has more melanin in it, and melanin is kind of a big deal. :) I'd love to try it someday!

MrsB

Lots of good points made here.

All of the good poultry breeders that I have encountered did not get into the "business" to make a fast buck, but ended up selling chickens because they loved the birds and had a desire to propagate quality animals. And unlike hatcheries, and most online sellers, the best breeders won't sell birds that do no meet their standards. They charge more because they have spent years culling imperfections and carefully selecting for precise traits. This is an expensive hobby and I bet that breeder in Ohio even selling his birds for $150-$200 each is not raking in the dough, as the expense of producing those birds is high.

I can only recommend that you choose a breed that you love and know something about. Familiarize yourself with the genetics and unique traits of that breed, and then find a reputable breeder with high quality birds to purchase your parent stock from. You will then of course need to continue careful selection and breeding in order to maintain the quality of the offspring. It also helps to get some of your best birds to local shows and fairs to get your name out there, and to get some judges opinions of the standard that you're working towards.

I personally breed wyandottes (of course), as well as Swedish Flower Hens, Hamburgs, Delawares, half a dozen other rare and heritage breeds, and then for fun I have two pens of Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers selecting for the richest and brightest eggs. I go to 4 shows/sales a year and take orders. Most months I pretty much break even, and when I do make some profit, most of that goes back into maintenance on my facilities and equipment and purchasing new stock to improve my lines.

I hope you find our comments helpful and sincerely wish you the best of luck. (Some of my birds below)

(I just now saw this.)

It could be swindling, sure... But I wonder about that. Kind of like a white potato versus a yam/sweet potato. They're basically the same thing... Except that they aren't. :p

Black meat has more melanin in it, and melanin is kind of a big deal. :) I'd love to try it someday!

MrsB

I'd recommend eating a few Silkies....it's hceaper and just as good.

Back
Top Bottom