Most Gentle Breed

Regarding the Speckled Sussex they are very sweet tempered too. We had a different breed every year when I was a kid and those were my favorites! I have a picture of myself at five or six with one in my lap. They were the only ones that didn't run when I wanted to pet them. My mom still thinks the buff orpingtons were the best tempered roos. The Blue Laced Red Wyandotte pullets I have now are very sweet too. If I'm sitting on the ground and something startles them, they all pile in my lap & thats after only having them a few days. I hear Conchins are really sweet as well.

That said, you can't just expect the chookies to grow up friendly. They have to be handled.

Quote:
I do wish you'd come explain that part about being broody to my 14 brahma hens. They think broodiness is for the lower class of chickens. (See my signature!)
rant.gif

Quote:
I like the colors of the Brahmas and Orpingtons but I just come across the Speckled Sussex breed on Feather Site and I love there color pattern. What is the nature of the Speckled Sussex are they very aggressive.

TNpoultrybreeder

I called a few hatcheries and Meyer Hatchery seemed to be the only one to have any chicks available in the next few weeks. The Speckled Sussex is sold out till mid August so I decided to order the Delawares as they are on the Critical list of the Conservation Priority Poultry Breeds and I also like there unique color pattern.

TNpoultrybreeder

Large Fowl I would have to say Brahma (I did breed for awhile & had no problem keeping 2 roos in the flock they are very laid back)

This is also the only LF chicken that the kids that visit are alound to pick up!

Joanne

Quote:
Really? My Buff Brahma banty hen is the only one in my flock that could hold a job with motherhood. Even the Silkie pays her no heed! She's so broody she still growls when we hold her even after we break her.
lol.png

Enough of my hijack. I will say no more except that most breeds will be sweet and kind if treated with the same sweetness and kindness at chick-hood. Handle regularly, hand-feed daily, treat with love, compassion, respect, and general TLC. But out of the list said so far, Brahmas have my vote.
woot.gif

Quote:
Oh sure rub it in!!
tongue.gif

Sorry for the hijack. Going out to my coop now to have the "broody is a good thing" talk with my hens again.
tongue.png

TN Poultry Breeder, you should read the recent threads on Delaware temperament. Although they are beautiful and endangered, some hatchery birds can have attitudes, according to BYC members.

I don't know where one would buy breeding quality chickens for less than an arm and a leg. I got my chickens from a hatchery.

The Cream Brabanters all had crossed beaks.

Back
Top Bottom