Most humane way to cull

OHhappychicks

Crowing
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Hillsboro,OH
What is the best and least traumatic way to
hit.gif
cull my sweet little cochin rooster? I really don't want to put him on the chopping block:
sickbyc.gif
, and I really don't want to do the break neck thing either. Is there any thing I could give him that would just put him to sleep? He is the one I have been posting about for about 3 months, and nothing has worked and he is just getting worse. He can't stand or walk, he hasn't crowed or chirped hardly at all in the last 3 wks. He is alert and eats when I feed him. I talked with a vet that sees alot of chickens, and without seeing him, said it sounded like there could be an abcess or something that was blocking the signals to walk and use his legs. They aren't paralyzed because he can kick and struggle sometimes. But the vets recommendation was to cull him since antibiotics, steroids, or probiotic mash has not worked. His quality of life has dwindled to nothing. I am so sad:
hit.gif
!! He is so sweet and has been a little trooper through it all. But I think it would be best for him. My husband is going to do the deed when I am not around:
hide.gif
of course. I just would like the end to be peaceful and sweet. Any suggestions? And thanks so much to all who have tried to help us.
frow.gif

Cervical dislocation is really the most humane, because it is the quickest surest way to end their suffering. Some folks will recommend a home-made gas chamber, but I think that takes too long for the bird to go, and has them in a strange, frightening enclosure right at their end. I don't like to do the chop to old friends, it's too gruesome for me. But it is also quick & sure. You could also take the bird to a vet to inject, but again, the bird's last experiences are in a box, in a car, in a strange room with strange people. And it usually costs quite a bit of money.

You (I mean your DH) can hold the bird under one arm, the non-dominant side, take hold of the head, & give a strong pull down & twist. Once you feel the bones give & crunch, you can be sure the bird is gone, even though it will take a few minutes for the A.D. reflexive flapping to conclude.

You (he) could also lay the bird down on the ground, place a stick (broomstick, PVC section) over the neck, hold the ends of the stick down with your feet, and pull up firmly on the legs.

I'm going to have to do this for a dear old hen who I just determined is laying internally.
sad.png
There's nothing else I can do for her but end her misery.

Quote:
They stick a needle in its heart and it give's 'em a heart attack, and that's humane? What's nicest for you and nicest for the bird are totally differant, folks need to stop carin about what makes them feel best and worry about the task at hand, HUMANELY killin the bird. The quickest, most painless way is cervical dislocation, hands down. I'd rather have my neck snapped or my head chopped of than have some weirdo stick a needle in my heart.

Ummm.....you can put a catheter in any number of veins in a chicken just as you would your dog or cat. Only lazy peoply "stab" hearts.

I was only giving it as an alternative since dshappychicks already stated they didn't want to snap the neck.

Thanks for all the imput. I have thought of taking him to the vet, but I already have had him at the vet and it costs alot. Didn't know they stuck needles in his heart! I just thought they gave an injection and he would go to sleep. I will have my husband read your info and let him decide. I'm not sure he knows how to do the cervical dislocation. I think he was going to the chopping block. Thanks again!

Quote:
I agree with this.

I recently had to put my pullet down after a raccoon attack. And i did it exactly this way, only i pulled the head straight out. Her eyes changed when she was gone. And she had only very momentary twitching.

I haven't really heard many women talk about "doing the deed" themselves. So i just want to say that for me, it was very therapeutic to be with her to the end, so to speak. I was the one who was caring for her. And i was able to hold her in my arms - in a very comforting and baby-like (the physical positioning i mean) way in order to put her down. Being able to do the right thing for her myself was emotionally, in the end, much better than letting my husband take her outside and crack her neck, specifically when he has little relationship with the birds.

I found a place and dug a hole outside ahead of time, then i wrapped her in a towel, took her outside, gave myself a countdown to sum up some courage (this took a little while), and when it was done, i put her and the towel in the hole and covered her up while i had a good little cry.

I was very surprised (i know i'm repeating myself) at how comforting it was to know that i had taken care of her myself.

And by the way, it's never ever easy, and i'm so sorry that you're having to come to this decision.

Grace to you.

Beth

When my vet put a young pullet to sleep for me, with an overdose of phenobarb.........it was injected into a
vein. I held her and stroked her, and she truly 'did' just go to sleep. It cost me $10!!
I have never, never, never heard of a vet 'stabbing and animal in the heart to give them a heart attack'!!!
Also, just FYI from an RN........when you break and animals neck (or a human's neck for that matter)........he becomes paralyzed.........from the neck down. He can't breathe, because his diaphragm won't work. He does 'not' die instantly, but his brain is still alive and totally knows he can't breath. He sufficates to death. Takes about 3 minutes for the brain to die....
Try not breathing for 3 minutes! Not a kind way to go, if you ask me.
If you truly have feelings for your little roo, I vote to go to the vet.....................or perhaps the hatchet.

Back
Top Bottom