Most important aspect of butchering?

Set up your processing station in advance, and walk through the steps before you start. Preparation shall set you free! You do not want to wind up searching for the knife when the bird is in the cone, or struggling to reach a towel to mop up a spill. Have a place for everything, and make an effort to keep everything in its place.

I set up my processing station as follows:

Killing station is a ladder with the cone zip tied to the fold out shelf. I clothes pin a trash bag to the ladder so that the bottom of the cone is inside the bag. This way the blood goes directly into the bag and the splatters when the bird flails around at the end are trapped. It also mean the bird is in a dark space, so I think there is less struggling.

My scalding station is about 3 feet from the killing station, and beside a sink. I move the bird from the cone to the sink and give it a good rinse to get off any poop and other dirt before it goes into the scalding pot. My pot is the base of my big pressure canner. I scald until the wing feathers come out instead of lifting the chicken out of the water. I pull the chicken out and hold it over the sink until the dripping slows down, then move to my plucking station.

The plucking station Is about 6 feet away from the scalding station. I have my new Power Plucker drill plucker clamped to a table and a frame with plastic drop cloth covering it to stop the feathers from shooting everywhere.

Once the bird is plucked, I move to the cleaning table, which is next to the scalding station. That is where I finish plucking, gut the bird and cut it up if I want parts.

I don't have anyone to help me, so I won't do more than 3 birds at a time. By the time I am done with 3, I have enough poop left that I can do a thorough clean up, take a shower, get a lovely beverage and settle down to watch Dooms Day Preppers Bugged Out.

Thanks!! Loving the replies, all great stuff to know.

Is it true what they say about butchering away from the rest of the chickens? So they won't be traumatized or is that just being overly dramatic? Do chickens know or even care? You would think it would cause a commotion.

X2. Wow, that was my first mistake also. Sorry I didn't mention it.
Would have been mine too, if it hadn't been for this forum
smile.png

Is it true what they say about butchering away from the rest of the chickens? So they won't be traumatized or is that just being overly dramatic? Do chickens know or even care? You would think it would cause a commotion.
My chickens could care less, except for my rooster. If one of them squawks when we turn them upside down, he will come running to see if it is one of his girls, and when he realizes it isn't, he goes on his way.

Actually my chickens do care. They free range and hover around, because at the first opportunity they come and eat feathers, and checking to see if I will share other parts. Seriously....

We butcher right outside the coop. My hens think it's a buffet.

All good advice here, I just can't second the sharp knives enough! Have a sharpener handy and don't be afraid to use it.

Have a plan for gut/waste disposal.

Thanks for a great summary. This really helped me think thru all the little details for the different stations that need to be set up. As I'm looking at my available garbage cans and coolers, then looking at the 38 birds, all I can think is "we're going to need a bigger boat!"

I usually don't get any help so if I have a lot to do I break it up and do some about once a week.
I had 50 to do once and wondered how I'd ever get through them all so I scheduled two meetups for our chicken group to learn about processing. I had 18 people come to the first and we did half of them as Cornish game hen size. One person brought a plucker. I also borrowed a friend's turkey fryer.
We had a bad snowstorm for the second session and only 5 people came but it was a Godsend.

DO NOT CUT THE HEAD OFF UNTIL THE BIRD IS COMPLETELY DRAINED....THE ORGANS ARE STILL WORKING...AND FOR A REASON..YOU WANT THE HEART TO KEEP PUMPING ALL THE BAD BLOOD OUT..IF YOU SEVER THE HEAD THE ORGANS STOP WORKING...BLOOD SLOWS. THIS IS WHEN YOU GET THOSE DARK BLOOD SPOT NEXT TO THE BONES AFTER THEY ARE COOKED....THIS JUST MY EXPERIENCE....

Wow this is a gerat summary thread allot of good advice

I would throw one thing out there. Plan ahead of time how you plan on storing the birds, whole, quarters, cut up, de-boned. and what kind of wrapping to use bags, shirink wrap, etc

Back
Top Bottom