Most of my Pullets purchased from Ideal are ALL ROOSTERS!

denasfarm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama!!
Back in October I purchased 12 RIR pullets and 1 Roo, 12 Barred Rock Pullets and 1 Roo and 6 Easter eggers (and received 4)and 4 pekin ducklings and one had a messed up beak and had to be culled.
They refunded the missing two EEs and the messed up duck. But Now I have been feeding a pile of roosters instead of pullets.
My plan was to sell the excess hens at $20 each to pay for the original cost. No One is going to pay $20 each for roosters.
I have lost money on the feed, time and sales.

ALL of the RIR are Roos, 7 of the barred rocks are roos, 1 of the 3 EEs is a roo.
I should have had 2 Roos. Period.
Their website says they will refund the difference...I have much more invested than that.
I plan to call them on Monday.
I have ordered from them many times before and have had chickens since 1998 so I am not new at this.

What do you all think. Pics below.

The BIG yellow one and the EE to the right are 3 yo adults. Not part of the chicks.

I do not see roosters there I see mostly pullets.
I do see a single RIR rooster in the bottom pic. I am thinking for the age they are the BR in the top pic is perhaps a rooster.
If you ended up with as many roosters as you state then you should be hearing a LOT of crowing.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Ideal. I've never purchased from there, so don't know if this is a common experience.

But I will say, I'm not sure that all of the Rhode Island Red pictures are roosters (if the ones in the photos are the ones you're talking about). I'm not seeing very large or red combs and not really any signs of saddle feathers or pointy neck feathers, except for perhaps one bird in the last photo. What makes you think that they are all roosters? (not criticizing your opinion, just an observation)

With that said, at least one of the Barred Rocks that I can see does look like a cockerel.

Last edited:
I totally agree! The close up of the EE is pullet, not seeing a bunch of RIR roos either.
smile.png

I only see 1 Rock cockerel and 1 RIR cockerel. The EE pictured alone is a pullet.

Last edited:
I still say mostly pullets due to no saddle or hackle feathers on most of them. I will say the RIR in the bottom pic looks like one single rooster in the pic. It is the one with the larger redder comb.
I question the BR in the top pic since I do not have a good view of the others combs. The coloring seems to dark to be a rooster on the BR.
The EE is all pullet. She is a pretty little gal too.

I bought some RIR chicks that were ordered from Ideal about 4 years ago. One of my girls has pointed feathers on her neck and she's one of my best layers.

I see one roo in your bunch. That's it.

I'm also seeing pullets, even on blown up pics. The first pic the barred bird may be a male, but at 4 months I'd expect a lot more comb.
Single EE is 100% pullet
next shot-- no roosters apparent
4th pic--lighter Rock may be a male, hard to tell from the pic
5th pic--- cockerel front and center, others pullets.

But hey, if you're still convinced they're all males, simply box them up and send them to me. I'll take them off your hands
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom