Most reliable hen… stopped laying last week?

murphrandir

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
I have 7 hens all hatched around April 1st 2022. I believe the one in question is some sort of Americana/Easter egger (no idea what the mixes there are but she looks like a Brown leghorn and lays green eggs). She was my first layer, and she laid reliably all winter. She really hasn’t taken too much of a break since she started in August of last year. She and my two Brahmas laid everyday almost December-February, and now everyone is laying again… except her. It’s been almost a week. She acts completely normal, I honestly wouldn’t even think anything was wrong if I didn’t know for sure that she’s not laying (she’s my only green layer). It’s been pretty nice where I live, in central Indiana. They were on Purina pellets but I moved them to a 17% mash (Analysis here). Should I be concerned? I don’t see any wounds, no feather loss, she’s moving around and dust bathing like all the others.
83A0AC74-0110-4F4A-8E4C-1985D3BC63BA.jpeg

It's normal for hens to take breaks. One of my older EEs (7?)was the last one laying in Nov. Started again around the solstice. Then took another break by the end of Jan. Saw her on the nest again today. When she was younger the laying part of the cycle was longer, but on and off again and still laying at 7 years of age.

I have 7 hens all hatched around April 1st 2022. I believe the one in question is some sort of Americana/Easter egger (no idea what the mixes there are but she looks like a Brown leghorn and lays green eggs). She was my first layer, and she laid reliably all winter. She really hasn’t taken too much of a break since she started in August of last year. She and my two Brahmas laid everyday almost December-February, and now everyone is laying again… except her. It’s been almost a week. She acts completely normal, I honestly wouldn’t even think anything was wrong if I didn’t know for sure that she’s not laying (she’s my only green layer). It’s been pretty nice where I live, in central Indiana. They were on Purina pellets but I moved them to a 17% mash (Analysis here). Should I be concerned? I don’t see any wounds, no feather loss, she’s moving around and dust bathing like all the others. View attachment 3413907
Omg, so precious!!! She looks great!

All i know is my gals stopped for wayyyy too long but they thrived during it all and i liked them not getting all worked up in the AM, whos layin' where, whos yellin' at who to get out of nest, ect ect, lol. But; now they are back to it! Enjoy the eggs while you have them is my thinking. 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom