Mostly Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happyfeetfarm, Nov 19, 2009.

1. happyfeetfarm

happyfeetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    Our city has a pond filled with ducks and they city came to the conclusion that there were too many so the captured them and took them to the pound where they are on a concrete floor with a trough (about 1 foot) its hard for some to get in. Some look as if they were injured during their capture and they are adopted them out for 5 dollars a bird (about 25 right now mostly Muscovy) and said they would not kill but adopt them out (this facility is not known for not killing). What can I do? I brought a couple home with me to join my flock but they just can't keep them like that.

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Where are you located? Im sure if you started a thread and included where you are located you could find some people willing to help out. If you have neighbors with ponds let them know about what happened and ask them if they would be interested in them for ornamental purposes.

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yeah where are they at? if their in NM ill take 3 muscovies.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I wish i could help, that sounds like a serious uprooting for those poor birds, they're probably seriously stressed.

I understand people not wanting to kill them. I don't eat my birds BUT if there's overpopulation they should find a butcher shop or someone to butcher them & make some kind of long-term deal to keep the population under control.

That way they're not keeping them in stressful, conditions & not putting out money on all that feed. And they're also not breeding constantly, overpopulating the area, and seriously taking away from the critters & wild birds that live in that area.

I AM glad that some of them are finding homes though, but it sounds like this is going to be a yearly thing..... I know how many eggs our Muscovy hens can set at one time!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. happyfeetfarm

happyfeetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    The ducks are located in Midland, Texas. I just hate to see them on the concrete..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by