Moth or Caterpillar phobia - anyone else have this?

yes yes! Sticky feet! Gross!

of course, powdery, hairy moths gross me out the same way.

The brown-toned thing that came to pollinate at night is a sphinx moth, also known as a "hummingbird moth." They are just as big and are mistaken for humminbirds all the time. There is a whole family of them. Their caterpillars are the giant hornworms that are found on tomato plants (and lots of other plants, depending on species) and just may be the cause of my demise someday (by scaring me to death). Hummingbirds don't come out at night. You can rest assured it's a moth. They are important night pollinators, which is why I wish I loved them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Those things are weird. The chickens love them.
big_smile.png

TheDuckCrew, I'm with you, I love moths and butterflies... just not tent caterpillars
sickbyc.gif

yah, the butterfly thing has been addressed in earlier replies... I personally don't mind looking at them (some are pretty), but I still don't want them touching me. Another person posted and said she doesn't like butterflies but moths are OK... to each his own!

My Grandma was deathly afraid of moths. So much so that she once jumped out of a moving car because there was one in there. She could not go out at night because of them and was absolutely terrified of any kind/size moth.

Highlander: It is so good to hear that there is another person that doesnt like butterflies. I am terrified of them flapping around. People think I'm nuts running away from them. I enjoy gardening so much but get panic attacks if I'm busy digging & dont see them right away & they get too close to me

My cats LOVE moths. They hunt them gleefully from room to room to room throughout the entire house.

If you're freaked out by these critters, never, EVER visit Sun River in eastern Oregon during the moth season (June).
Identification-- First instar larvae are brown, covered with dark hairs and have a black head. They feed in clusters around needles on the outer branches. Late instar larvae are about 3 inches long, brown to greenish -yellow with a few branched spines at each segment (fig. 216). Large green droppings and molted skins from larvae may be conspicuous on the ground under heavy populations. The large, dark purplish-brown pupae are found in the soil beneath the pines (fig. 217).

The moths are large, with wingspans of up to 4.5 inches. They are heavy-bodied, grayish-brown with a dark spot near the center of each wing. Males have feathery antennae while those of females are narrow (fig.218). During epidemics, thousands of these moths can be seen flying in the forest canopy.

It's amazing to see them around street lamps at night.​

Back
Top Bottom