Mother behaviour

Birds33

Hatching
Nov 13, 2018
Hi everyone,
My first time mum (a one year old incubator raised gold laced Wyandotte) is being (until today) a fantastic mum. I found her absolutely hooking into one of her babies who I rescued and is now happily eating under a heat lamp inside. I’d understand if Bub was a newborn but they’re 10 days old.
Mum chook also scratches the ground constantly despite plenty of good quality and appropriate food for them all. She even scratches out the hay they use for bedding so her and her remaining babies are lying on wood. Is there anything going on? What can I do if need be?
Thanks
Kylie

It sounds like normal broody mom behavior to me. She did not mean to hurt one.
She may be a little overenthusiastic on teaching her babies how to scratch for tidbits in the hay, but this is normal. Finding good things for her babies is definately what moms do.
Maybe you could replace the hay with pine shavings to reduce her scratching where they sleep.
How much room do they have?
Congradulations on your new chicks!
Welcome to the backyard!

I found her absolutely hooking into one of her babies
What exactly does this mean?
Did she bloody the chick?

She even scratches out the hay they use for bedding so her and her remaining babies are lying on wood.
Is she keeping them warm under her feathers?
Wonders if maybe pests in bedding?

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Back
Top Bottom