Mother hen and chicks in trouble.

speedabug

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
My he just hatched three chicks today. Next week it is to turn cold and might snow tuesday. I dont have anywhere to put here she is outside. I tried to block all air holes in her nest but im afraid they are still are going to die. I also cant put them with my other chiccks because they peck at them. Please help:

I cant they are outside and I cant bring them in.
hit.gif

They should stay under moma's wings and keep warm I would think or you could bring the babies inside and put them in a brooder. After it warms up again maybe you could put them back with moma and see if she takes them back.

Jayare

As long as she is inside a coop, they will be fine and she will keep them warm under her wings/body. It is most often better not to interfere with a mama hen - she knows what she's doing. Good luck.

Jody

I have thought of that and the last time I did that she killed them. She is a very mean broody hen.

Jayare

Last edited:
No it is not your fault. Whatever happens will happen. You cannot control mother nature nor can you control the way the hen handles the babies if you remove them. Do the best you can to secure mama and babies in a warm dry place (if possible) and if not, let mama do her job...be a mama. She will take care of them...most likely she will move to a better place if she is free ranging, once the weather starts to change.

Good Luck.

Quote:
If you know she is a bad mother, why let her hatch at all? Remove the eggs and hatch them yourself and brood them indoors. That is the safest choice for all.

Jody

We just found out today actually. We saw her each day come out and eat we never saw her sit on the eggs. They hens always lay in the same nest box. We have two nest boxes with about 10 holes fo each hen they are in two different pens they are together the pens.

Back
Top Bottom