Mother hen destroyed 4 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by James andriske, Oct 14, 2019.

1. James andriske

James andriske Hatching

Oct 14, 2019
    Hi all my mother hen has destroyed 4 of her eggs the first two on the 15th day and the last on today on the 17th day all of the eggs where devopled to the days they where destroyed with no signs of deformity not sure what to do she has raised 6 other batches of eggs and never done this before there are still 8 eggs left

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    EggWalrus likes this.
  2. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    If she has been a mother before, she values and protects eggs. It could be that another hen got in there and they squabbled?

PS I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but it would be a helluva lot easier to make sense of that mile long, run on sentence, if you started using some punctuation.

Duck_life and chrissynemetz like this.
  3. James andriske

James andriske Hatching

Oct 14, 2019
    Hi thx for replying, she is in a cage by herself so not sure, but thx for the advice the only other thing I can think of is that the first egg had died of whatever reasons, and when she destroyed that egg it covered other eggs in yolk and blood, so may have blocked the shell pores, but at this point I am really not sure.

4. James andriske

James andriske Hatching

Oct 14, 2019

5. James andriske

James andriske Hatching

Oct 14, 2019
    Hi just a little update 3 chicks have hatched today, had to put the guts back into one, there still 1 egg left to hatch, in a freak event yesterday we lost two eggs because the cage filped in the wind crushing them and another two had been unfertile, I went from 12 to 4 in 6 day anyway all g now

6. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Sorry about the loss of those eggs.
    Hopefully, the last will will hatch just fine.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: