Mother hen is hurting her chicks : - (

reginasilva

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
I'm new to having a mother hen and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was not expecting her to hurt her newborn chicks. Is this normal? She actually pecked all the hair off of one of them. I've now taken the babies from her.

welcome-byc.gif

It does happen - and sometimes the hen will be a terrible mother all her life - or the next clutch she could be a wonderful mom - just like people
hmm.png

I have a broody who is great with any chick - even those who are not hers - in fact I just gave her a chick that one of our ducks hatched yesterday, her clutch is almost a week old already. She dotes on that little baby and makes sure it is right up with her others - eating and drinking. If she is feeding her chicks and another hen's chick comes up - Blondie will feed it also.

But I have another broody who will attack any chick who is not hers - she can really be vicious.

No, this is not normal. I do have some friends who have had similar problems though and thought maybe the mothers were too immature? I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have had 6 broody hatches so far, and none of mine have hurt their chicks. I can't figure it out. I'm glad you were able to rescue the other chicks from her. That's what i would have done.

Back
Top Bottom