Mother hen not caring for chicks?

Ok, mother hen is half heartedly looking after her chicks... She seems to allow the chicks to follow her during the day, but she keeps roosting at night and last night I moved her into the nest box successfully with chicks but tonight she refuses to stay in the box and instead roosts high where chicks can't get her and chicks can't all stay under her on the roost. So I managed to stick 2 chicks under her on the roost and the 3rd chick I stuck under a broody hen but she kept pecking the chick so I transferred chick to another broody hen and she stayed sitting so I'm hoping the broody will look after this chick and not kill it overnight! See how we go in the morning.. Tomorrow I'll really have to do something else, maybe sell the chicks to someone who has a brooder ready to look after them or try and set up a brooder myself.

Didn't work, broody kept chick under her all night but in the morning she kept pecking chick so broody is back in the breaker and chick back with incompetent mumma hen... She was trying to jump on them this morning.. I'll have to put them in a box in my bedroom with a light and experience raising chicks myself 😨
..I'm worried they won't know what to do when they go back outside, forage etc.. and intergrate into the flock! They won't remember each other after a few weeks would they?

i have hand raised all of my chicks and they still love to free range and forage. Last time i put new chicks with my current flock i had 8 new pullets and only 3 old ones but after they established the pecking order everyone was happy

I have set up a brooder type thing, infrared heat lamp and rescued one little fluffy from the bush mother hen left alone. Mother hen was not giving up her other 2 though she will roost at night undoubtedly leaving the chicks to fend for themselves so I'll grab the other 2 and add them in with this chick.
Questions... Is this tub large enough for 3 chicks til 6 weeks old? What's the lowest temp they can handle comfortably so I can put them outside in a separate coop (no heat only, each other for warmth)
Do I need to add anything else to my setup?
Do I need to show the chicks something like their mother would or their old enough to work out where food/water is?
Can I give them outside grass time? - for how long without heat?

Thanks! And sorry about all the questions, I've never raised chicks myself! IMG_20210204_131604.jpg

Last edited:
Chicks keep cheeping constantly, is this normal and how long will it to on for? All Night!? Will they sleep with infrared light?

Also, one chick is fairly motionless, not eating and active like other, what do I do?? Is it because other hen wasn't keeping her warm and caring properly for her?

IMG_20210204_164917.jpg

Just need help here please,
first time brooding chicks myself, brought inside my house taken away from mother hen, 2 weeks old x 3 chicks.

Can you please help by answering my questions above if possible.. my chicks are constantly cheeping! Is this because they are away from mother hen (that never even gave a cluck about them) Or are they cold/ hot ? It is night time here and they are still awake and cheeping! I have a infrared light and that is suppose to not interfere with their sleep?

Give them a little bit of time to settle down... They're probably a little confused since their 'mother' isn't there anymore.
They don't look to be huddled under the heatlamp, so they do seem to be warm enough.
Tub looks a bit small to me, it'll do for a little while. I'd get them out during the day for breaks if you can.

Is the inactive chick looking okay?

Just need help here please,
first time brooding chicks myself, brought inside my house taken away from mother hen, 2 weeks old x 3 chicks.

Can you please help by answering my questions above if possible.. my chicks are constantly cheeping! Is this because they are away from mother hen (that never even gave a cluck about them) Or are they cold/ hot ? It is night time here and they are still awake and cheeping! I have a infrared light and that is suppose to not interfere with their sleep?

Do you have a heating pad you could set up on a frame? I find the "MHP" (momma heating pad) works as a nice transition either to a real hen or the other way around. It gives them their own darkened quiet warm spot to sleep, tucked underneath. Here's my variation. You can use a roasting pan rack - I used the kind of thing you screw into the kitchen cabinet to store foil, saran wrap etc. I used an old pillow case, put the heating pad into the pillow case, then put the heating pad between 2 shelf frames, zip-tied together. Then a hand towel goes over the top. There are hundreds of ways to do it- a big "MHP" thread exists with all kinds of ideas. I've found the next best thing to a good broody is the MHP - warm and dark.

Attachments

• Side view mhp.jpg
    Side view mhp.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 9
Give them a little bit of time to settle down... They're probably a little confused since their 'mother' isn't there anymore.
They don't look to be huddled under the heatlamp, so they do seem to be warm enough.
Tub looks a bit small to me, it'll do for a little while. I'd get them out during the day for breaks if you can.

Is the inactive chick looking okay?
Mostly stands around, not as active as the others, doesn't eat and drink alot like the others do. Poo looks normal though... Do you think she might get more active after being in the brooder for a few days? - since she was not well cared for by mother hen? .. She may have been pecked since mother hen wasn't looking after them much my other chickens could have pecked the chick or mother hen could have too.

I have only raised chicks under a broody so not needed a brooder setup till now so just used the tub I had on hand and ran out to get the Infrared light. I can have them outside on the grass during the day for short times if weather is good.
When they are a bit older I can have them out in the coop in a fenced area when they are old enough and bring them inside at night if need heat.

They are still cheeping now, hope they don't get any louder because they will keep us awake all night! They should be asleep with the infrared light going shouldn't they?

Chicks keep cheeping constantly, is this normal and how long will it to on for? All Night!? Will they sleep with infrared light?

Also, one chick is fairly motionless, not eating and active like other, what do I do?? Is it because other hen wasn't keeping her warm and caring properly for her?

View attachment 2515372

What temperature is the brooder?

Coccidiosis is always a possibility especially as they've been exposed to the outside.

Back
Top Bottom