1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mother Issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fuzzerd, Sep 7, 2009.

1. fuzzerd

fuzzerd New Egg

Jun 17, 2009
    We found our broody hen this morning (9:00am) in a different nesting box on different eggs. the other eggs wheren't warm but we think she was on them last night. we moved her to her old nest and she got right back on them, but will the eggs hatch ( we candeled them before and there was growth) or was a few hours to long?

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

can you join the eggs from the other nest that she has sat on yesterday to the nest that she now sit? if can, do it. good luck.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    if she was gone for more than an hour its possible a few quit, but im sure most are still good
    the outside of the egg cools down alot faster than the inside

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I had a broody sitting on one egg. I took her off the nest so she could get food & water, and she got back in the wroong nest box. Was off the egg probably about three hours in the afternoon. I put her back on the egg when I noticed. The egg hatched OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by