ChxLadyCass

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
Hey all!

I just read through the following article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

And from this, I have deducted that I have mottled eggs at times, but also break open eggs to eat that have a REALLY cloudy part to just the albumen. I always crack eggs open to eat in a separate dish because of the weird things that are sometimes found in those fresh eggs! :idunno

The cloudy albumen is not in the above article and I am curious if it is safe to eat, and if it is indicative of undernourishment in my hens? ALSO, my yolks almost always break upon cracking, according to my husband (I don't have this problem in my ceramic egg maker). Lol either he is just really bad at breaking eggs, or the yolks seem to almost be weak.

I use Nutrena Chick Starter and Grower for my flock of mixed ages (5 weeks to 5 years). I supplement calcium with crushed up egg shells (about 18 eggshells a week to my flock of 6 laying hens and 12 other chickens). Do they just need more calcium than this? Or is there something else going on? No other symptoms! Just weird eggs!

TYIA!

It's always best to provide a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Egg shells are a good supplement but oyster shells are best.

I occasionally see cloudy albumin, I have read it's seen more in fresh eggs, and it's nothing to worry about.

Hello,

Wondering if this egg is safe to eat. It has a discolored egg yoke with darker spots

Attachments

• 67AFD3C7-5CCD-4832-A876-DE929F404C8C.jpeg
    67AFD3C7-5CCD-4832-A876-DE929F404C8C.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 41
Hello,

Wondering if this egg is safe to eat. It has a discolored egg yoke with darker spots
Should be okay, but I always go by the old adage "when in doubt, throw it out".

I think a mottled yolks is just cosmetic. If it smells fine, isn't old, I would use it.

Otherwise if it's freshness is in doubt I would just get rid of it or feed it back to the chickens scrambled.

Back
Top Bottom