Mottled black comb

He was definitely beat up. Looking worse every day. Now I just have to catch him. Unfortunately I am afraid by tomorrow he will be weak enough and as long as he doesn’t go hide from me I should be able to catch him.

Any recommendations for feeding him if he won’t eat?
Can you throw some treats in a pen or place where you can corral him up?

You had previously mentioned there's 2 other roosters, doesn't matter their age, likely he's getting ganged up on.

Offer his normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed that he eats. You can offer it as wet mash since it's very likely his beak is sore. Bits of soft food like fish, meat or tuna are also good enticements.
For a bird that's weakened and injured, he's getting some blows to the head...
Hydration first! Always. You can give electrolytes, sugar water, poultry vitamins, etc., just get fluids into him. Once hydrated, then offer feed.
Once stabilized and wounds tended. Start getting vitamins into him for a few days. Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/2 tablet B-Complex.

Hopefully you can catch him. Keep us posted.
Welcome To BYC

Do you have another rooster? Looks like he's been in a tussle.
Gather him up and rinse off the blood, you can use saline if you wish.
If he's got dried blood in his beak, give it a wipe out with a soft cloth or qtips.
Vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment on the comb, wattles and facial tissue, should help the skin heal up
and he'll feel a little better.

Where is he kept? Photos of housing/run, etc. how many hens?
Foot might be a bit scuffed, hard to see them. You can rinse them off. Dry well, then apply a thin layer of vaseline to give added protection. Keep an eye on them. The red streaks down the legs are due to hormones.

Back
Top Bottom