Mottled Java chicks question

700cct

Chirping
May 25, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with mottled java chicks? I have a flock of mottled javas I bought as adults, and have hatched a few eggs under the broodies.
I noticed that my roosters are mostly black, and the hens are the mixed black and white.
Now, my question is, do the mottled java chicks reflect their adult coloring? I have some chicks that are darker, and some that have a more "mottled" appearance. I have a scattering of other chickens, so it is possible one of their eggs snuck into the mix.
I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had experience with them, and if my theory that the color could predict roosters and pullets is true.

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with mottled java chicks? I have a flock of mottled javas I bought as adults, and have hatched a few eggs under the broodies.
I noticed that my roosters are mostly black, and the hens are the mixed black and white.
Now, my question is, do the mottled java chicks reflect their adult coloring? I have some chicks that are darker, and some that have a more "mottled" appearance. I have a scattering of other chickens, so it is possible one of their eggs snuck into the mix.
I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had experience with them, and if my theory that the color could predict roosters and pullets is true.
Where are you located? I keep Mottled javas too. You will find that after their first molt they will get more of that beautiful mottled pattern. I have two flocks, one is a trio and the other a quad. Both of my roosters are darker than the hens. Here is my 20 month old rooster Dalton.
78E891B4-4C94-4413-85F9-4DC9D6C964E1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom