Mottled Java!!

I can relate! One of my chicks (I have two currently) is pretty skittish. 

We haven't been naming all our chickens but this one is dubbed Java bc it is one and acts like it's drank its weight in it. Original, I know. Haha Boy or girl, the name is Java. Lol

Just brought home two Mottled Java chicks. I didn't realize they were so rare. I went to the farm store to buy Orpingtons (which I did), but when I saw the Java's, I couldn't help myself. Their temperament seems very good, and they meshed into my new flock fine so far.

I didn't know they were rare? I was told I have one... here is her pic:

when she was about a year

after her first molt.

Is she truly a mottled Java?

I recently purchased two Mottled Java's hoping for one of each. Looking at their combs looks like I got two Cockerels. Although I have noticed that adult females have quite a large comb. When we got them Lucy was much bigger than Pepper but now it is opposite. They are both around 7 weeks here. If anyone has opinions, info or guesses I would love it....thanks.

Pepper (Left) and Lucy

Pepper

Lucy

Last edited:
We have 8 Mottled Java, between 9 and 10 1/2 weeks old. Love them! (and one hybrid layer from a prior flock. they are as big as she is! LOL)

This is our second flock of birds - the first were all hybrids and eventually died off. The red one is the only one remaining. We plan to breed for meat and eggs, improved adherence to the standard, and faster maturity. (We have a great rooster candidate for that already.)

It's hard to tell their sex by the combs this early. I'm finding it more effective to look at their saddle feathers. I have a couple I KNOW are cockerels because the saddle feathers are obvious. And they do tend of have somewhat larger combs/wattles than those without the saddle feathers.

I have a beautiful pair of Mottled Javas. I am going to start selling hatching eggs. Contact me if any of ya'll are interested!

Here are my lovely chickens;

Back
Top Bottom